[妙手] 【转帖】一個英文版的妙手仁心續集

回复: 【转帖】一個英文版的妙手仁心續集

由于本人的英文水平不是很好,所以里面有许多东西看不懂,希望那位好心的同学可以帮忙翻译,我在此说声谢谢了

回复: 【转帖】一個英文版的妙手仁心續集

Paul's apartment
The Next Day
8.36am <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p>
</o:p></font></font></b>

<font color=" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Morning, guys!” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Hey, Paul, where are you going off so early to?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Gilbert asked as he turned around in his seat at the table. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I’m going to visit Jackie before my shift starts.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Oh, ok. I will be by to see her later.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Sure, I will tell her that. See you later then.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Don’t you want some breakfast?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“No, I’m not hungry.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>aul answered before going out of the house, leaving Gilbert to stare at empty air for a moment before he turned to look at Henry opposite him. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Do you think he’s fine? Can you remember when was the last time he ate anyway? And, why is he talking as if Jackie’s awake?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>He added as an after thought. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I think Paul’s accepting this better than any of us expected, and as for the way he’s talking, I think he’s trying to make things as normal as possible. Anyway, what makes you so sure that Jackie won’t understand what we say to her?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Gilbert shrugged. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I don’t know. It’s just a thought. Come on, hurry up and eat, I need a lift from you.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>****** <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Hospital
Jackie’s Room
9.11am <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>aul entered the room quietly, surprised to find Annie still there. He would have expected her to be gone by the time he got there. He walked to her side and tapped her gently on the shoulder, not wanting to alarm her. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Jackie!” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Shh, it’s Paul, Annie.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Oh, Paul, it’s you. For a while there, I thought it was Jackie, waking me up.” Annie sat up on the couch and rubbed her eyes, before realizing her position. “How did I end up here?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Henry carried you here last night.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Carried me?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>aul nodded before sitting down beside Annie on the couch. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Both Henry and I stopped by last night and saw you sleeping beside Jackie. Henry carried you over here so that you would be more comfortable. He was also the one who covered you with a blanket. By the way, don’t let him know that I told you about this, he didn’t want you to know about it.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Why wouldn’t he want me to know about it?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I don’t know, but I do know that he still cares very much for you.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Annie turned her head away, uncomfortable with the direction that this conversation was going. Suddenly, she felt Paul’s hand covered one of hers. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Annie, are you alright? We thought you had gone home after visiting Jackie yesterday, why did you come back? I know you are as upset as I am about Jackie, but you have to take care of yourself too, Jackie needs you to be strong for her.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I know. It just takes some getting used to, I guess. I didn’t want to stay at the apartment alone.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Do you want to come stay with us these few days?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“No, I’m fine. I promise. I guess I’d better go. I still need to go to work.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul nodded. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Just promise that you will come to us if you need anything.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I will. Thank you, Paul.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>On a sudden impulse, Annie leaned over and gave Paul a hug before heading for Jackie’s bed. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Hey, Jackie, I have to go now. I will come and see you again later this evening. Bye Paul!” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Annie said and left the room, leaving a concerned Paul staring after her. Shaking his head, he went over to Jackie’s bed, and leaned down to place a kiss on her forehead. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Hey beautiful, I’m back again. I didn’t spend the night here because I know that Annie needed the night here with you. I will try to spend every night here with you from now on till you wake up, alright?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>He went over to the windows to draw back the curtains before returning to the bed. Taking a seat by the bed, he took Jackie’s hand. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“It looks like a good day today, so, I don’t think your rainbow will appear just yet. You know what? I have a feeling that the day a rainbow appears just outside this window will be the day that you wake up. Do you remember when you told me that you hope to see a rainbow one of these days? Somehow, I just know that your wish will be fulfilled very soon.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul continued chatting to Jackie till it was time for his shift to start. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I have to go to work now, but I will be back again after work.” Paul smiled and kissed Jackie gently on the lips. “See you later.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>That Night
7.05pm </FONT></FONT><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul, Henry, Joe and Gilbert entered Jackie’s room, surprised to find Annie already there. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Hey, Annie, what are you doing here?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Gilbert asked. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“In case you have not noticed, Jackie is my very best friend, so why should it surprise you that I am here?” Annie retorted immediately. “Anyway, don’t you guys have to work?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“We are after shift now, and we are thinking of going to After Five, do you want to come with us?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Joe spoke up. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Uhh, no, I don’t think so. I’m rather tired today, and I need to go to court tomorrow, so, I think I will pass. Well, I’d better go now, I’ve been here for quite a while anyway. Bye!” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Annie muttered, avoiding their eyes as she bade farewell to Jackie before fleeing the room. All four pairs of eyes stared at the door for a moment before settling on one another. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Hey, Gilbert, what’s wrong with your sis?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Joe nudged Gilbert. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I don’t know. Maybe you should ask Henry.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Two pairs of eyes turned in Henry’s direction while, ignoring their bickering, Paul just walked to Jackie’s side. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Why me? I’m not even her brother. Don’t you think you are looking at the wrong guy?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Henry muttered, not liking the way the other two guys were looking at him. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Gilbert crossed his arms. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“We think it’s because of you that Annie is fleeing. Perhaps she doesn’t want to see you?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I don’t know what you are talking about.” Henry shrugged off their thoughts and continued to Jackie’s bedside. “Jackie, I think you’d better wake up soon and find out what’s wrong with your best friend. She is acting a bit weird these days.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul looked up. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Cute way of trying to wake Jackie up. Don’t you think maybe it’s partly to do with you?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Why me again? Hey, are you guys ganging up on me or what? Anyway, I’m not going there with you.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>The guys continued their bantering and it was an hour later before Gilbert and Joe announced that they are leaving. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“So, who’s coming to After Five with us?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I don’t think I’m going.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul replied. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Umm... Paul...” Joe spoke but was quickly hushed by Henry and Gilbert. “Ok then, guess we’d better go now before it’s too late. Henry?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“You guys go ahead first, I will catch up with you later.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Fine, see you later then!” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Joe answered as he and Gilbert went off. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Hey Henry, I never thought I would ever see you miss a chance to go to After Five.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“There are still some things that you don’t know about me.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Henry said smugly, before going to sit on the couch. Although he never revealed the true reason for not going with the two guys to After Five, secretly, he was hoping that Annie would return to the hospital later in the night. After another hour had passed and he was ready to give up, there came a soft knock at the door. Both guys looked up in surprise as Annie entered the room again, this time, dressed more casually. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Uhh.. Hi! I didn’t know you guys were still here. I thought you said you are going to After Five?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Only Gil and Joe went. What are you doing back here? Thought you said you are tired?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul asked, concerned. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I was but not anymore, so I thought I would come back here and keep Jackie company.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Annie replied, going towards Jackie’s bed. At this point of the conversation, Henry decided to intervene. He walked towards Annie, and whispered. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Annie, I think Paul wants to spend the night here with Jackie, he couldn’t sleep the whole of last night, maybe we should just leave him alone with Jackie for the moment.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Annie looked at him in surprise, as if just noticing him in the room. Then, she turned towards Paul, temping down the growing feeling of disappointment and sadness. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Hey, Paul, I think I’d better go. You need to spend time with Jackie too. I will come back tomorrow to see her.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“It’s ok...” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Really, I’m serious. See you tomorrow!” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>With a forced smile, Annie turned to leave the room. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I’m sending her home. I will come again tomorrow.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Henry told Paul before he hurried out of the room after Annie, finally leaving Paul alone with Jackie. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul gave a sigh before turning his attention back to Jackie. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Hey, Jackie, I’m kinda worried about Annie, you know, I’ve never seen her so uncertain before, she’s like... lost. I know she needs you a lot as well, you’d better wake up soon, I’m not sure how long this can continue.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul gently kissed Jackie’s hand before continuing. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Have I told you yet how much I love you? I love you, Jackie, and I need you. I never realize how important you are to me, until it’s too late. No, sorry, it’s not too late yet. I know you will wake up. I need you in my life, Jackie, to cheer me up whenever I’m down, to give me support whenever I need it... “ <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Paul talked to Jackie till late in the night, before exhaustion finally overtook him, and he laid his head down on the bed beside Jackie, falling into a deep sleep. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Meanwhile </FONT></FONT><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>After leaving Jackie’s room, Henry managed to catch up to Annie, and offered to drive her home, only to be rejected. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I can go home by myself.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I still think it's best if I drive you home.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Henry insisted, and pulled a reluctant Annie along with him to his car. Ignoring the animosity that was apparent in the car, he drove Annie home. Upon reaching her apartment, he invited himself up for a cup of coffee, leaving a helpless Annie exasperated but following along. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>As soon as they entered the apartment, Henry pulled Annie to the couch with him. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Annie...” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I thought you wanted a cup of coffee? Let me make you one and then you can be on your way.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Annie stood up, preparing to walk away, only to be pulled back by Henry. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Will you just let me say a few words?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>After a moment’s hesitation, Annie relented. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>A look of relief flashed briefly across Henry’s face before he let go of Annie’s hand to take out a lighter from his pocket. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I bought this specially for you. Will you let me be your only lighter from this moment on?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I gave up smoking a few days ago.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Annie’s answer stunned Henry for a moment before he regained his composure. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Well then, I guess it’s this lighter’s tough luck that it didn’t have the chance to be of service to a beautiful girl.” Henry threw the lighter on the table infront of them. “But, the lighter’s owner would never give up. Annie, you know what I’m asking of you.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“What? What do you want?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“I know I have hurt you many times in the past, and I can’t promise you that I won’t do so again in future, but I can promise you that I’m going to change. No one can foretell the future, but as long as we are happy together, who cares what will happen. As long as we love each other, nothing can deter us. Annie, I love you, can you give me another chance, and let us start all over again?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Tears welled in Annie’s eyes. Sensing a victory, Henry took the chance and pulled Annie into his arms. After a moment of struggle, Annie went into his arms willingly, and hugged him tight. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“You promise to change?” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>“Yes, I do. I will try my best not to hurt you ever again.” <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Satisfied with that, Annie simply laid her head down on Henry’s shoulder, closing her eyes in bliss. </FONT></FONT>

GMT+8, 2024-6-17 11:45 PM, Processed in 0.014337 second(s), 5 queries, Gzip enabled.