“Huh?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Tracy looked at Anson, who had asked the question. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Do you think we will ever be a part of that group?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“I don’t know. Do you want to be a part of that group?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“I think I do. I am rather envious of their close relationship, you know. I have never had friends that are so close, being able to say anything, and argue without fighting. Did you also see the deep bond of friendship between Annie and Jackie? Seems they are more like sisters than friends.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“I know. They are a rather close-knit group, aren’t they? I felt like an intruder the whole time I was in there, I didn’t even know what to say, I was at a total loss for words. They were going too fast for me to catch up.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Anson laughed. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“I know, I had the same problem too. Actually, they are a rather fun bunch, bantering the whole time without stopping. On another note, Paul really loves Jackie, huh? Did you see how attentive he was to her the whole time? How he would look at her so lovingly? What I would give to have a man love me as deeply as Paul loves Jackie.”</P>

</P>

“Yeah, I noticed alright.” <o:p></o:p>
</P>

</P>

Tracy replied grimly. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“What?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Oh, nothing. Look, I gotta go. I’ll catch you later, alright?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Sure.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Coming to a junction, they spilt as each went their own way, leaving Tracy to her own thoughts. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Ending on that note of thought, Tracy returned to her duty station. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Back In Jackie’s Hospital Room <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Annie got off the bed, and took out a package from one of the bags that she had brought with her to the hospital. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Here, Jackie. I have a present for you.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Thanks Annie, but you don’t have to.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Ha! If I didn’t buy you anything, you would have come after me! Go on, open it!” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Delightedly, like a child, Jackie tore open the wrappings, to stare in astonishment at the sight before her. Again, her eyes misted over. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“You remembered!” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Of course, I remembered. You are my best friend, and my good sister, remember. I have also kept all the get well greetings that people have sent over the past months to the apartment for you. You can look at them when you go back.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Oh Annie.” Jackie reached out to give her friend another hug. “I really miss the times when we sleep together, talking to our hearts’ contents till the wee of the night.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“It hasn’t been long since we did that.” Annie grinned at Jackie’s puzzled look, as once again, she settled herself beside her friend. “When you were in a coma, I would come here and stay at least once a week, but of course, it was only I who did all the talking, you never contribute. Do you know how tiring it is to talk for so long, without any response?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Joe laughed at that before he mentioned that he, Helen and Carmen had bought something for Jackie as well. It seemed to be the cue as the other guys of the gang too brought out their gifts for Jackie. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Hey, what about you, Paul? What are you giving to Jackie?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Henry asked, when he noticed that Paul just stood next to the bed, smiling at the antics of the others. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Huh? Oh, I... I am going to give it to her later.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Why later, and not now?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Peter asked, puzzled. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Well, I... that is...” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Something’s wrong with the guy.” Henry speculated. “Come on, buddies, let’s search him, and see what he’s hiding.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Paul backed away as the others approach, slapping away wandering hands. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Hey, hey, stop that!” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Don’t tease him anymore. You are doctors, remember, you should behave yourself.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Jackie cried laughingly from her position on the bed. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Wow, Jackie, already defending him, huh?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Annie teased. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Annnieee... I thought you are supposed to be helping me?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Jackie pretended to throw a mock punch at her friend. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“What, what? I’m rather intrigued myself at what Paul is hiding.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Annie laughed. At that moment, that was a cry of triumph from Gilbert as he held a small box in his hands, apparently having taken that from one of Paul’s pockets. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Ah Gil, you’d better return that to me.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Paul reached out to take the box back. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Uh uh, I guess that’s our cue to leave. Looks like our lovers need some time alone.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Joe added, as he glanced at an embarrassed Paul. Jackie, for her part, simply rolled her eyes in exasperation. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Ok, guys, let’s get out!” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Henry urged, pushing all of them towards the door. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Bye, Jackie, I will come and see you again tomorrow. Right now, it seems someone wants to be alone with you.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Annie smiled, and hurried out of the door along with the others. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Come on, guys, what’s the meaning of this?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Paul asked as he followed them to the door. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“I don’t think you are supposed to follow us, your place is here.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Henry said with a wink, before closing the door in the face of a bewildered Paul. The latter, after a minute, finally turned back to look at Jackie sheepishly. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Those guys......” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Jackie laughed. </P>

</P>

“You know how they are like. It’s not as if you have just known them.” <o:p></o:p></P>

回复: 【转帖】一個英文版的妙手仁心續集

Paul walked towards the bed, and sat down beside her, holding both her hands tightly in his. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<b><font color=" /><o:p></o:p>

“How do you feel?” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m feeling perfectly alright. Don’t worry.” <o:p></o:p>

“I can’t help it.” He pulled his hands away and fingered the box in his hands, before finally gaining his courage. He opened the small box in his hand, and blurted out. <o:p></o:p>

“I love you, Jackie, and I know this may not be the perfect time nor place, but I... Jackie, will you marry me?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie looked at him shocked. In all her wildest dreams, she had never expected Paul to pop the question to her so soon. <o:p></o:p>

“I know, I know, it may seem like too soon, but when you went into a coma, I realize just how important you really are to me, that how much I need you in my life and I promised myself that as soon as you wake up, I will make you my wife. I don’t want to miss another chance at life with you. So, will you do me the honor of becoming Mrs. Ching?” <o:p></o:p>

Deeply touched by his words, tears formed in Jackie’s eyes, threatening to spill over. <o:p></o:p>

“Paul, I...” <o:p></o:p>

Paul put a finger gently against Jackie’s lips. <o:p></o:p>

“You don’t have to reply me so soon, take your time to decide. After all, this may have come as a shock to you, seeing as how you’ve just woken up.” <o:p></o:p>

She pulled his finger away from her lips, and said in exasperation. <o:p></o:p>

“Can you please let me finish my sentence before you interrupt?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul blushed. <o:p></o:p>

“Oops, sorry.” <o:p></o:p>

“Alright, now listen. I love you too, Paul, this just came as a surprise to me. I can’t imagine how much you have done for me all this while that I was in a coma. And before I say anything more, yes, I will be glad to become Mrs. Ching.” <o:p></o:p>

In a rare show of emotion, Paul let out a whoop and jumped up in delight. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie laughed at his display of happiness. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, after you are done, come here and give me a kiss, will ya?” <o:p></o:p>

Grinning, Paul hurried over to Jackie, placed the ring that he had bought for her on her finger, and then proceeded to give her a most thorough kiss. <o:p></o:p>

“Thank you for making me the happiest man on earth.” <o:p></o:p>

“And, thank you for making me the happiest woman on earth.” <o:p></o:p>

After a long while, Jackie finally nudged from her comfortable position. <o:p></o:p>

“It’s getting late, Paul. Don’t you have to go home to rest?” <o:p></o:p>

“It’s ok, I can stay here longer, unless you want me to go?” <o:p></o:p>

“No, of course not, but you look exhausted. When was it that you had a proper sleep?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul looked at her sheepishly. <o:p></o:p>

“Well... I... I can sleep here on this chair, it’s the same.” <o:p></o:p>

As if to prove his point, Paul got off the bed, and dragged a chair up next to it, where he proceeded to sit down. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie sighed, unwilling to see her beloved spend another uncomfortable night in a hospital chair. <o:p></o:p>

“Oh, come on.” She scooted over on the bed, and patted the spot next to her. Paul looked at her puzzled. “Oh Paul, one would think that after all this time, you would not be so dense anymore. Here, you can share my bed. We will sleep together tonight, ok?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul smiled. <o:p></o:p>

“No, I’m fine here, I don’t want to spoil your sleep.” <o:p></o:p>

“You will not. And, I’m not going to be so heartless as to let you spend another night on that uncomfortable chair.” <o:p></o:p>

“What about hospital policy?” <o:p></o:p>

“Just this once. They won’t mind. I won’t say, and if you don’t say, who will know, right?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie grinned that mischievous trademark of hers. It did not take much to persuade Paul as without a moment’s hesitation, he got onto the bed beside her. <o:p></o:p>

“So, you think I’m dense, huh?” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, seeing as how long it took you to finally realize that you love me, and need me......” <o:p></o:p>

“You know what, if I’m not such a good tempered man, I would be very offended by your words.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie grinned, not at all worried over her plight. <o:p></o:p>

“But, you are not!” <o:p></o:p>

“Nah, I’m just too happy today, nothing can spoil my mood.” Paul hugged her tighter. “Come on, let’s go to sleep.” Gently, he lowered Jackie to the bed, and snuggled behind her, spoon-styled, before pulling the covers over them. It was not long before the two of them fell fast asleep, the first contented and peaceful sleep that the former had in ages. <o:p></o:p>

Meanwhile
Out In The Corridor <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p>
</font></b>

<b><font color=" /><o:p></o:p></FONT>

“Helen!” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy called as she saw the nurse heading out of a room. <o:p></o:p>

“Yes, may I help you?” <o:p></o:p>

“Have you seen Dr. Ching anywhere? I’ve been trying to find him for a while.” <o:p></o:p>

“Um, I’m not too sure, but maybe you can check out Dr. Tong’s room. He’s always there whenever he’s not needed elsewhere.” <o:p></o:p>

“Sure, I will do that. Thanks.” <o:p></o:p>

On so saying, Tracy turned and headed down the corridor towards Jackie’s room. <o:p></o:p>

She ended on that note of thought just as she reached Jackie’s room. Without another thought, she opened it, only to find the couple cuddled together on the bed, apparently fast asleep. To her credit, she did not try to enter the room and wake Paul up, but still, jealousy made her shut the door harder than was necessary. However, despite the noise made, the couple did not even nudge from their sleep. <o:p></o:p>

Angrily, Tracy stalked down the corridor, coming to a stop when she saw Helen again. <o:p></o:p>

“So, did you manage to find Dr. Ching?” <o:p></o:p>

The latter enquired. <o:p></o:p>

“Sure, I found him alright. Guess where he was? He was sleeping on the bed with Dr. Tong!” <o:p></o:p>

“That’s so sweet.” <o:p></o:p>

“That’s against hospital policy!” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, considering their relationship, and seeing how much they had gone through to be together, I’m sure the hospital rules can be bent this time.” <o:p></o:p>

“Still, I don’t think they should do that.” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy huffed, before walking off, leaving a bewildered Helen staring after her, wondering what was going on. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, Tracy, why do you look so angry?” <o:p></o:p>

Anson greeted, as she saw the doctor coming towards her. <o:p></o:p>

“Guess what I just witnessed?” <o:p></o:p>

“What?” <o:p></o:p>

“Paul and Dr. Tong sleeping on the same bed.” <o:p></o:p>

“So?” <o:p></o:p>

“That’s against hospital policy.” <o:p></o:p>

“Tracy,” Anson soothed, walking the other doctor to a quiet corner of the staff lounge. “I think it’s more than hospital policy to you, isn’t it?” <o:p></o:p>

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” <o:p></o:p>

“Yes, you do. You are in love with Dr. Ching, aren’t you?” <o:p></o:p>

“I.... Yes.” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy agreed grudgingly. <o:p></o:p>

“You know what? I was too, at first.” <o:p></o:p>

“You are?” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, I guess many of the females in this hospital are drawn to him by his steadfastness to love, among his other qualities. But, after seeing how much he and Dr. Tong really love each other, I decided that I should just give up the idea.” <o:p></o:p>

“You are giving up just like that?” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, I don’t want to break up such a wonderful couple. They went through a lot to be together finally, you know.” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m not like you, I won’t give up so easily.” <o:p></o:p>

“Traaccyyy...” <o:p></o:p>

Anson warned. <o:p></o:p>

“Forget it. I don’t care. I’ve always gotten what I want all my life, and this time won’t be any different.” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy answered before exiting the room. Anson stared after her, worried about what Tracy might do. She hoped that this did not spell disaster for Paul and Jackie. She really wished the couple well, after seeing how well they fit together.<o:p></o:p>

Jackie’s Hospital Room
The Next Day
8.35am
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

“Morning.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul smiled. <o:p></o:p>

“Good morning yourself. How long have you been awake anyway?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie asked, when she opened her eyes to find him gazing at her. <o:p></o:p>

“Just a few minutes before you.” <o:p></o:p>

“Don’t you have to go to work already?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, it’s my off day today, so I can spend the whole day with you.” Paul grinned. “Well, I guess this is as good a time as any to start your physical therapy.” <o:p></o:p>

She blanched, the day she had been dreading since she woke up was finally here. Even though a doctor herself, and knowing that sooner or later, she would have to start her physical therapy, she was still dreading it all the same. She did not have the courage to attempt to get off the bed from the moment she got up, and she was worried about how she would fare, after not having moved at all these months. <o:p></o:p>

The paleness of Jackie’s face did not escape Paul. He placed his hand on hers. <o:p></o:p>

“Jackie, I know you are scared, I am too, but I will be there for you the whole way, alright? No matter what, you can count on me.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie blinked back her tears, and gazed at him, determined now to do her best. She could not let this man beside her down again, she had to try her best, not only for her sake, but for his sake too. For their future together, she would have to make sure that she made a full recovery. <o:p></o:p>

“I know, Paul. I will try my best, just don’t expect too much of me at first, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

“You are brave, and you will be fine. I just know it.” He made an attempt at a joke. “And now, stop trying to distract me. We still have to get you to the physical therapy room, remember?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie laughed. <o:p></o:p>

“How did you know what I was doing?” <o:p></o:p>

The words were barely out of her mouth when a nurse pushed a wheelchair into the room. Paul nodded his thanks before taking over from the former. He pushed the wheelchair to Jackie’s bedside, and bowed gallantly. <o:p></o:p>

“Your carriage awaits, milady.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie smiled, trying to push back the growing fear in her. <o:p></o:p>

“And, how do you expect me to get into that without your help?” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh, right.” <o:p></o:p>

Grinning devilishly, Paul swooped a startled Jackie into his arms, and onto the wheelchair. <o:p></o:p>

“Oh wow, that was quite some help.” <o:p></o:p>

“Anything for milady. Come on, let’s go, the day will be gone if we delay any longer.” <o:p></o:p>

Trying to brighten the mood, he chatted amiably throughout the trip to the therapy room. The moment they entered the room, Jackie’s face lost her color again upon the sight of all the equipment. The feeling of fear returned, this time, threatening to overwhelm her. She was starting to regret it. <o:p></o:p>

“Umm, Paul, maybe this is still too soon. I think...” <o:p></o:p>

Paul squatted down next to her, taking one of her hands in his. <o:p></o:p>

"Jackie, I know this is hard for you, but you know that the sooner you get started, the faster you can recover, right? I promise you that I will be here all the way for you, and I won’t break that promise. No matter how hard this is going to be, we will be going through it together. Believe me, we will be able to do it together.” <o:p></o:p>

Slowly, upon hearing those words, the fear in Jackie started to recede. She would not go so far as to say that she had gained confidence, but at least, she was determined to do it, and to succeed in the meantime. <o:p></o:p>

“I promise you too, Paul, that I will do my best. I won’t let you down.” <o:p></o:p>

“You won’t be letting me down, I know you can do it, but I want you to do it for yourself too, alright? Not only for me, but for yourself too. And, don’t push yourself too hard, let’s just take it one step at a time, shall we?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie nodded, earning a smile from Paul. <o:p></o:p>

“Come on, let’s get started.” <o:p></o:p>

He pushed the wheelchair to a low bed. <o:p></o:p>

“We shall start with some simple movements first, alright? And, from here, we shall see where we will go next.” <o:p></o:p>

He lifted Jackie onto the bed, and lay her front down on it, <o:p></o:p>

“You ready?” <o:p></o:p>

Again, she nodded. She was just starting to think that this was not as bad as she had thought after Paul had massaged her back and did some simple exercises with her legs for a while, when sudden excruciating pain shot up her back. She let out a groan, her face contorting in agony. <o:p></o:p>

“Jackie?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul stopped what he was doing, hastening to bend down and look at her face. <o:p></o:p>

“It hurts, it hurts a lot.” <o:p></o:p>

“Honey, I know it does, but pain is good. It means that the blood is starting to circulate smoothly in your body again.” <o:p></o:p>

“I know, just continue what you are doing, I’m alright.” <o:p></o:p>

Knowing that he had to continue, for the good of his loved one, Paul nodded. His heart ached for Jackie, but he knew what he had to do. <o:p></o:p>

“I promise you a good rubdown when we are done here, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

“I will hold you up to that promise.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie said through gritted teeth, the pain seemingly endless. <o:p></o:p>

Finally, after a couple of hours, it was all over. Paul pushed Jackie back to her room, and kept good his promise. He took out a jar of fragrant cream, before returning to Jackie’s bedside. <o:p></o:p>

“Now, I’m going to put you front down again, and massage you gently with this cream, alright? I promise it won’t hurt this time.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie grinned, regaining her cheerful self. <o:p></o:p>

“I have been waiting for this moment for the whole morning. Now, get down to work!” <o:p></o:p>

Gently, Paul helped Jackie lie with her front down, earning a startled yelp from her, when he proceeded to untie the back of her hospital gown. <o:p></o:p>

“Paul, what are you doing?” <o:p></o:p>

“How do you expect me to rub the cream on you with you still in your gown? Don’t worry, I’ve locked the door.” <o:p></o:p>

“But... but...” <o:p></o:p>

He smiled, saying as he continued to untie the laces. <o:p></o:p>

“Jackie, have you forgotten who took care of you when you were in a coma all those months? Who, other than Annie, rubbed cream on you so that you won’t get bedsores? Who massaged cream onto your body? I now know your body as intimately as mine.” <o:p></o:p>

“Alright, alright, I get your point. Get on with the message.” <o:p></o:p>

Almost as soon as Paul laid his hands on her, Jackie let out a groan again, but this time, it was one of pleasure, rather than of pain. <o:p></o:p>

“Don’t stop, this feels so good.” <o:p></o:p>

That earned a laugh out of Paul. <o:p></o:p>

“I knew you would like this part of the deal. How about I make a deal with you? Everyday, we will go to therapy together, you without any complaints, and after that, I will give you a massage. How’s that? <o:p></o:p>

“If I can get this kind of treatment everyday, then I don’t mind being tortured. You are on! By the way, that cream smells wonderful.” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m glad you like it cos I have been using it on you for the last fourteen months. This is already the seventh jar.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie reached behind her to grip Paul’s hand. <o:p></o:p>

“Thank you, Paul. Thank you for everything.” <o:p></o:p>

“There’s no need to say thanks. I want to do it.” <o:p></o:p>

“I love you, you know.” <o:p></o:p>

“Yes, I know, and I love you too.”

完了吗?
我还以为最后会是一个盛大烂漫的4人婚礼。。。:em06:
不过~~~按照这样的发展~结果应该和我想得一样吧~~~~:em34:
作者很多地方借鉴了《HH》2~~:em20: 还有henry追回annie 的那段和《HH》1也是一样的~~~

I read the last paragraph just now and felt very good, hehe. I will translate it if I have enough time......but I cannot make a promise, haha.
Thank you for bringing it to us, bonniecwt.
Thank you, everybody who love them four.

[QUOTE=celineda]完了吗?
我还以为最后会是一个盛大烂漫的4人婚礼。。。:em06:
不过~~~按照这样的发展~结果应该和我想得一样吧~~~~:em34:
作者很多地方借鉴了《HH》2~~:em20: 还有henry追回annie 的那段和《HH》1也是一样的~~~[/QUOTE]

This is not the ending, it's a long story.
i was busy last week so i didn't update, i am very sorry. i will post more tomorrow, sorry for keep you guys waiting

In fact,you do a lot for us who are keen for their story.
Thank you for your hard work~~

Back In Jackie’s Hospital Room
2.05pm <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

“Wow, I’m starting to think that my room is fast becoming a meeting place for you guys during lunch time.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie joked, as she looked at the crowd in her room. Again, the whole gang was there, with the exception of Annie, but with the addition of Tracy and Anson. They had agreed to tag along when Joe told them that they were all going to visit Jackie, and if they would like to come along as well. <o:p></o:p>

“But, one person’s missing.” <o:p></o:p>

“I thought that as long as Paul’s by your side, you don’t care for anyone else?” <o:p></o:p>

Henry teased, as he noted that Paul seemed to be permanently stuck to Jackie’s side. <o:p></o:p>

“Who says so? I always care for my friends,” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie replied indignantly, earning a round of laughter from the room. <o:p></o:p>

“In that case, the person in question should be here shortly.” <o:p></o:p>

True enough, within minutes, there came a knock at the door and Annie burst in. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey Jackie!” <o:p></o:p>

She greeted, going to sit by her friend’s side at once. <o:p></o:p>

“Don’t you ever get sick of each other?” <o:p></o:p>

Joe wondered aloud. <o:p></o:p>

“NO!” <o:p></o:p>

Both girls replied simultaneously before bursting out in laughter. <o:p></o:p>

“So, how do you feel today? When can you be discharged?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie turned her attention back to Jackie. <o:p></o:p>

“I feel great! In fact, I just went for my physical therapy session this morning with Paul. As for when I can be discharged, you will have to ask my doctor here. And, while you are at it, try to persuade him that I’m a good patient, and should be discharged as soon as possible.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie grinned. Annie looked at Paul. <o:p></o:p>

“So, what do you say, Doc?” <o:p></o:p>

“It will all have to depend on her performance.” <o:p></o:p>

He shot back. <o:p></o:p>

“He always says that whenever I asked him when I can be discharged.” Jackie muttered. “Since you are my friend, you have to help me to persuade him that I would be fine in no time at all.” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh no, I refuse to be your middle man.” Annie shrank back in mock horror. “Well, dear friend, just listen to your doc, after all, you did give him a fright for 14 long months, you know.” <o:p></o:p>

“I know, which is why I’m not rushing things. Otherwise...” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie brushed a hand through her long hair in exasperation, the action causing the ring on her finger to catch her friend’s attention. <o:p></o:p>

“Uh, Jackie, is there something you should be telling me?” <o:p></o:p>

“Tell you what?” <o:p></o:p>

“That.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie took hold of Jackie’s hand, and pointed to the ring. <o:p></o:p>

“Oh.” Surprisingly, the ever-bold Jackie blushed. “Well, Paul, would you like to do the honor?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul looked at her in exasperation, before proceeding to do what was requested of him. <o:p></o:p>

“I guess this is as good a time as any to announce to you guys that I proposed to Jackie yesterday, and she has agreed to marry me.” <o:p></o:p>

That announcement brought on a round of cheers in the room. <o:p></o:p>

Annie turned to hug her friend immediately. <o:p></o:p>

“Congratulations, Jackie. I know how happy you must be. You definitely deserve the happiness.” <o:p></o:p>

Finishing the hug, she walked over to Paul and gave him a huge hug as well. <o:p></o:p>

“Congrats, Paul. No one earned this more than the two of you. I wish you two all the best. Don’t you dare to bully Jackie though, or I will be sure to come after you.” <o:p></o:p>

She ended with a grin on her face. <o:p></o:p>

Next in line was Henry, who gave him a pat on the back. <o:p></o:p>

“I... I have nothing to say to you.” <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, what is that supposed to mean?” <o:p></o:p>

Gilbert grinned. “Ignore him, Paul, just wait till he’s leg shackled himself. Congrats to you.” He walked to Jackie and gave her a big hug. “Congrats to you too, Jackie. I guess you have been waiting for this moment for a long time already.” <o:p></o:p>

That only earned him a slap on the back by the lady in question. <o:p></o:p>

Everyone crowded round excitedly to congratulate the couple while a single doctor hung back, reluctant to go forward, though knowing that she would not have any choice. <o:p></o:p>

Unfortunately, before long, she was the only one left not having congratulated the couple, so she too, walked forward, in a pretense of sincerity. <o:p></o:p>

After everyone had calmed down again, Jackie turned to her friend, who had once again settled down beside her, their arms around each other. <o:p></o:p>

"So, Annie, when is it going to be your turn?" To the former's astonishment, that question actually made Annie blush. "Uhh... Did I just ask a very sensitive question?" <o:p></o:p>

"No, you did not." <o:p></o:p>

Annie hastened to reassure her friend. Jackie looked to Henry for an answer, but he only shrugged in response. <o:p></o:p>

"Don't look at me. Ask her." <o:p></o:p>

"So, Annie?" <o:p></o:p>

"Umm... Henry did pose that question to me, but I rejected." Before Jackie could open her mouth, Annie added simply. "I just couldn’t, not with you in a coma." <o:p></o:p>

"Oh, Annie." <o:p></o:p>

By this time, everyone in the room was intrigued by the conversation, as they all strained forward to hear the rest of it. <o:p></o:p>

"Also, do you still remember our promise?" <o:p></o:p>

Jackie nodded, understanding. "That we will be each other's maid of honor, whoever gets married first." She hugged her friend. "Oh, Annie, I’m so sorry." <o:p></o:p>

"Don't be. It was my choice." <o:p></o:p>

"And, you would have that choice again." <o:p></o:p>

Paul interrupted, with a glint in his eyes, as he looked at Gilbert and Joe, giving a slight nod in Henry's direction. Before Henry knew what had hit him, the three men swooped on him, pushing him in the direction of Annie. <o:p></o:p>

"Go on, ask the question, I'm sure the answer will be different this time." <o:p></o:p>

Paul urged. <o:p></o:p>

"I just hate it when you guys do that." <o:p></o:p>

"Do what?" Gilbert asked innocently. "I may not like you for a brother-in-law, but for the sake of my dear sister, I won't say anything." <o:p></o:p>

Annie looked at the guys in exasperation. <o:p></o:p>

"Oh, just forget it, will ya. It's over and done with." <o:p></o:p>

"No, it's not." Henry suddenly spoke up, deciding that he might as well play along. He took out a ring box from his pocket, and kneeled before her. "Annie, I love you, and I promised you before that I will change my old ways, and be a good husband to you. Now that Jackie has woken up, I'm going to ask you again. Will you do me the honor of marrying me?" <o:p></o:p>

Annie lowered her head, touched that Henry would actually ask her to marry him in front of everyone. After a moment, she nodded her head shyly. Before she could do anything else, she was caught up in a hug by the latter, with her lips engaged in a deep kiss. It took her a minute to reorient herself to the surroundings, and acknowledge the fact that they were not alone. She pushed back from Henry, and nudged him hard. <o:p></o:p>

"We are not alone." <o:p></o:p>

"Who cares, they started this first." <o:p></o:p>

Henry retorted, though he let her go willingly. <o:p></o:p>

Again, the scene of a while ago was repeated as everyone crowded round to congratulate the couple. <o:p></o:p>

"Hey, I have an excellent idea. Why don’t the four of you get married on the same day?" <o:p></o:p>

Gilbert suggested. <o:p></o:p>

Paul and Henry looked at each other in askance, and shrugged. Paul answered for the two of them. <o:p></o:p>

"We are fine with the idea, but I think you should ask the ladies." <o:p></o:p>

Jackie and Annie shared a look. <o:p></o:p>

"Annie?" <o:p></o:p>

"As long as you guys don’t mind, Jackie and I would love to." <o:p></o:p>

"So, it's settled then." Joe rubbed his hands in glee. "This is going to be a good show." <o:p></o:p>

Jackie could not resist retorting. <o:p></o:p>

"Do you think we are acting?" <o:p></o:p>

Helen jabbed her boyfriend hard in the side. <o:p></o:p>

"eople are talking serious business here, stop kidding around." <o:p></o:p>

"What, what? What did I say?" <o:p></o:p>

Joe protested. <o:p></o:p>

While everyone's attention was on Joe and throwing remarks back and forth, Paul made use of the chance to stoop down and whisper in Jackie's ear. <o:p></o:p>

"Do you feel tired? Do you need a rest?" <o:p></o:p>

Jackie covered his hand with her. <o:p></o:p>

"I'm fine, don't worry." She searched his eyes. "You don't mind that we will be sharing our wedding day with Henry and Annie, do you?" <o:p></o:p>

"No, of course not, as long as you like it." <o:p></o:p>

"You are the best, do you know that? I love you." <o:p></o:p>

"And, I love you too." <o:p></o:p>

Subtly, he leaned down to place a gentle kiss on Jackie's lips. <o:p></o:p>

On the other side of the room, however, that intimate gesture did not escape someone's eyes as she looked at the scene before her with growing resentment. <o:p></o:p>

For the next two months, Paul went with Jackie to every physical therapy session without fail, and as promised, gave her a massage after every single one of them. Jackie, for her part, kept her side of the promise, as despite all the pains and agonies, she did not even utter a single sound of protest. Before long, Jackie had made tremendous improvement, and was able to stand on her own. <o:p></o:p>

***** <o:p></o:p>

Jackie’s Room In The Hospital
2 Months Later
9.05am <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

Jackie woke up to see Paul still sleeping soundly beside her. She caressed his face lovingly. She was glad to see that the lines of exhaustion were finally starting to go away. Maybe it was not such a bad idea after all that she demanded he share her bed every night. Otherwise, he would not be able to recover all the sleep that he had lost. Right now, she only cared how her beloved was faring, and not some hospital policy. She knew some hospital staff had spotted them sleeping on the same bed, but she was confident that they would not spread the word, having worked so closely with them once before. <o:p></o:p>

Paul woke up while she was still lost in her thoughts, thus giving him some time to gaze at her, and gather his own thoughts. <o:p></o:p>

“A penny for your thoughts?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie asked upon seeing that Paul had woken up as well. <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing, I was just thanking my lucky stars that you are fine and here with me. There’s nothing more I want out of life.” <o:p></o:p>

The former smiled. <o:p></o:p>

“I’m thanking my lucky stars too, that I can be with you again. And that you are finally starting to look normal again.” <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, what do you mean by that? Don’t I look normal usually?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, you don’t. You’ve been looking exhausted from the moment I woke up. I’m just glad that you are finally looking like your old self again, and gaining some weight in the process too. You have been getting too thin lately!” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m so glad you approve.” He laughed. “We won’t have to go to therapy today, so what do you want to do?” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, I’m so tired of staying in this hospital room the whole day other than going for therapy. So, how about taking a walk in the garden?” <o:p></o:p>

“Sure, as long as you feel up to it.” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh yes, please.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul laughed at the child-like eagerness in Jackie. <o:p></o:p>

“Alright then.” He got off the bed, and helped her off as well. <o:p></o:p>

“Uhh, Paul.” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep?” <o:p></o:p>

“Let me make a stop at the bathroom first, will ya?” <o:p></o:p>

That caused a laugh out of him. <o:p></o:p>

“Of course, whatever the lady wants.” <o:p></o:p>

Carefully, he helped Jackie to the bathroom, waiting outside for her patiently. When the latter was done, he made a stop himself, before putting his arms around her and finally setting off to the garden. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, Dr. Tong, you are finally on your feet. How do you feel?” <o:p></o:p>

Helen cried excitedly, walking towards the couple. <o:p></o:p>

“I feel great. Thanks.” <o:p></o:p>

“ I won’t disturb you guys then. I will see you later.”

They were stopped by several more hospital staff, who was glad to see that Jackie had woken up at last, before they eventually managed to make their way to the garden. Paul settled Jackie carefully on a bench before he joined her, once again hugging her close. Jackie, on her part, simply placed her head on his shoulder contentedly. <o:p></o:p>

“Whew, I thought we would never get here, not that I’m not appreciative of everyone’s concern.” <o:p></o:p>

“You have no idea how concerned everyone had been, I think most of the hospital staff had dropped in at least once to see you while you were in a coma.” <o:p></o:p>

“I know, and I really appreciate that. Hmm.... Don’t you just love the sun? And how it shines on everything?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie teased, trying to bring Paul out of the solemn mood that he seemed to have fallen into. <o:p></o:p>

“Huh?” <o:p></o:p>

“I thought you need some cheering up.” <o:p></o:p>

“And, I thought I am supposed to be the one doing the cheering up.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul retorted. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie shrugged. “We will see.” Suddenly, she fell into a reminiscing mood. “I never thought how much I would miss this sight. The sight of sunlight falling onto the ground, dappling between the leaves. Life’s just so precious, don’t you think?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul hugged her tighter. <o:p></o:p>

“After what we had just gone through, I would definitely agree with you.” <o:p></o:p>

“Paul...” <o:p></o:p>

“Shh... I think we should just enjoy this moment for itself, don’t you think so?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie nodded, contented to just sit there with her fiancé. Thus, they spent the better part of an hour just sitting on the bench, enjoying each other’s company, and the world in general. <o:p></o:p>

Unbeknownst to them, a pair of eyes that shone with jealousy was staring at them from a window.

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 01:42 PM, Processed in 0.013514 second(s), 5 queries, Gzip enabled.