[妙手] 【转帖】一個英文版的妙手仁心續集

回复: 【转帖】一個英文版的妙手仁心續集

Jackie’s Room In The Hospital
A Week Later
11.14am
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<b><font color=" /><o:p></o:p>

“Oh wow, I can’t believe that I’m finally leaving this place! I have never been so glad to get out of the hospital before!” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie cried, as she walked about the room restlessly. <o:p></o:p>

Paul looked after her in amusement. <o:p></o:p>

“I know that you have recovered but still, you shouldn’t be doing so much walking about just on the first day that you can get out of bed by yourself.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie hurried across the room to hug him from behind. <o:p></o:p>

“I’m just so happy. It seems like I am starting a new life, which is true to some extent.” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh, sorry, did I disturb you guys?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie joked as she entered the room at that moment. <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, you are not. Don’t worry.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie answered as she released Paul and turned to face her friend. <o:p></o:p>

“So, are you packed and ready to go home?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie asked, staring at the bags on the bed. <o:p></o:p>

“Am I ever! I can’t wait to get out of here.” <o:p></o:p>

“I never thought that I would ever hear that from you.” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, if you had lived in the hospital for more than a year, you would say that too.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul smiled at them, before turning to Jackie worriedly. <o:p></o:p>

“I still think that I should take the day off and send you home. You sure you don’t want to come to my house and stay for a while? I can take care of you.” <o:p></o:p>

“Paul, don’t worry about me. You know that you couldn’t take today off. Anyway, Annie can take care of me, she’s going to bring me home. And nope, I don’t think I want to stay at your house at the moment, I miss my own.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie grinned. <o:p></o:p>

“Right! Don’t worry, Paul. I will bring her straight home and tuck her right into bed. I will make sure that she stays there. She will be fine, trust me.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie added, seeing the worried look on Paul’s face. <o:p></o:p>

However, despite all the reassurances, Paul was still concerned about not being able to send Jackie home personally. <o:p></o:p>

“Ok, we are all set, let’s go!” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie cried exuberantly, reaching out to take her bags. <o:p></o:p>

“Here, let me.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul managed a smile in spite of his uneasiness. He took a bag with one hand, and with the other, placed it around Jackie’s shoulders, while Annie carried the other one. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie placed her own arm around Paul’s waist, and squeezed it reassuringly. <o:p></o:p>

“I will be fine. I will see you in After Five tonight, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul kissed her forehead. <o:p></o:p>

“Fine, I’ll see you then.” <o:p></o:p>

On the way out of the hospital, they were greeted by many hospital personnel, all of whom were glad to see that Dr. Tang had finally woken up and appeared to be none the worse for wear. With all the interruptions, it took them a while before they finally managed to reach the entrance of the hospital. Annie put down the bag that she was carrying and told Jackie to wait for her while she went to pick up her car. <o:p></o:p>

Before long, Paul was waving them off as he watched the car disappear into the distance. With a sigh, he reentered the hospital, knowing that the day was going to be too long for him. <o:p></o:p>

真的不知道這位Tracy大小姐在氣些什麼 自戀也要有個限度吧!!
每次只要看到她的名字我就想吐 還好我沒有朋友叫Tracy 不然我真的會昏倒
真想說一句 妳能不能不要再出現了啊! 擺明了顧人怨....

看到Paul可以跟Jackie同床共枕 我就會傻笑(雖然是在醫院)
能夠在一醒來的時候就見到自己最愛的人 絕對是幸福的

痛苦的復健能有心愛的人在身邊 我想不管有多痛都是可以忍受的
復健後的按摩讓我想到不知在哪看到的一段話
"他會為我在地獄(復健)中 築起一座天堂(按摩)"

喜歡這段描述
Jackie醒來後看這沉睡在身邊的Paul 憐愛的撫摸他的臉 高興的看到疲憊終於從他的臉上消失了

喜歡這段對話
"我也在感謝 我可以再次跟你在一起 還有你終於恢復到以往的你了"
"嘿! 妳這什麼意思呢? 我以前難道看起來有什麼不對嗎?"
"是的 你之前看起來很不對 從我醒來的那刻起 我看到的你一直都疲憊的 現在你終於看起來和以前一樣了 而且在這過程中 你也胖了些 你之前實在是太瘦了"
"我很高興我達到妳的標準了"aul笑著說

從這裡 我看到了Jackie的甦醒與否 對於Paul來說是巨大的
從這裡 我看到Jackie對於Paul的心疼

喜歡Paul時不時的擔心Jackie會太累
喜歡Paul因為求婚成功而雀躍的跳了起來
喜歡Jackie說"等你興奮完後 是不是可以給我一個吻呢?"
喜歡Paul因為不能送Jackie回家而不放心
喜歡Paul自語說"今天會是很長的一天"

喜歡大家那堅固的友誼
喜歡Jackie跟Annie的姊妹情深
喜歡Henry記的清清楚楚他和Annie在一起已經有多長的時間
喜歡大家為Henry製造求婚的機會

討厭Tracy的名字一再出現
討厭因Tracy而使得Paul和Jackie的幸福蒙上陰影
討厭我必需一再的打Tracy這個名字
討厭 我怒
Paul Jackie Henry Annie的名字我念上一千遍 我打上一萬遍都不厭倦
就連那狗嘴吐不出象牙的Peter(張創業)都比某T好 哼...

奖励40魔法币By jasmine

Jackie and Annie’s Apartment
Half An Hour Later <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

Annie unlocked the door to the apartment and allowed Jackie to enter before her. The moment Jackie stepped into the apartment; she wandered around in wonder, touching everything in sight. Tears gathered in her eyes as she stared at things that were so familiar to her, yet foreign in others. Annie came up behind her, putting an arm around her. <o:p></o:p>

“Jackie, are you alright? Here, drink some water.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie took the glass from her, whispering her thanks. <o:p></o:p>

“I can’t believe that I’m back again, back where I belong. It feels so good to be home, you know. I have really missed all this, I didn’t even realize how much till I stepped in here. Annie, you really kept everything exactly as they were, didn’t you?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie nodded. <o:p></o:p>

“I didn’t want to change anything. I knew that you would wake up one day, and wouldn’t want to come home to a foreign place. Here, take a look at your room. I have kept it clean for you all these months, wanting you to come back to exactly how you have left it.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie entered her room, repeating what she had done from the moment she stepped into the apartment, caressing everything in sight, as if to reconcile herself with all her belongings, or to reassure herself that she was truly home. After making a round of her room, she turned to Annie, who was standing at the doorway and gave her a huge hug. <o:p></o:p>

“Thank you, thank you so much.” <o:p></o:p>

“There’s no need for thanks. Just the sight of you standing here in this room is enough thanks for me. Anyway, what are sisters for?” Annie smiled. “And now, it’s time to do what I’ve promised Paul, or else he will have my head tonight. Back to bed with you!” <o:p></o:p>

On so saying, she gave Jackie a push towards the bed. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, hey, I’m not an invalid, I don’t need to stay in bed the whole day. And, I’m so tired of staying in bed all the time too!” <o:p></o:p>

“Don’t forget you are still recovering.” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m fine, maybe just a little hungry.” <o:p></o:p>

“How about I whip something up in the kitchen while you rest? I will wake you when the food is ready.” <o:p></o:p>

“You can cook?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie asked incredulously. <o:p></o:p>

Annie pretended offense. <o:p></o:p>

“A person can change in more than a year, you know.” <o:p></o:p>

“Or change because of someone.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie teased. <o:p></o:p>

“I’m not talking to you anymore. If you don’t get into bed right this minute, I’m telling you-know-who.” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m going, I’m going. There’s no need for threats!” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie laughed as she hopped onto bed. With a laugh, Annie turned and headed out of the room. It was not long before the former gave up her pretense of resting, and stood up to wander about the room again. It was while she was browsing through her belongings that a thought that had been nagging her for days came to the foreground, prompting her to get out of the room in search of her friend. <o:p></o:p>

“Annie!” <o:p></o:p>

“What, what? Is there something wrong?” <o:p></o:p>

Startled by Jackie's cry, Annie rushed out of the kitchen. <o:p></o:p>

“No, no, everything is fine. I just need you to do me a favor.” <o:p></o:p>

“Sure, just name it.” <o:p></o:p>

“Can you please drive me to Paul’s apartment?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie’s eyes narrowed. <o:p></o:p>

“What are you up to now? You know that you are supposed to stay in bed, by your doctor’s orders.” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m fine, truly. There’s just something urgent that I should have done the moment I woke up, but I couldn’t remember what it was until now.” <o:p></o:p>

It only took a minute before Annie relented, having seen the determined look in Jackie’s eyes. <o:p></o:p>

“Alright, hold on a moment while I turned off the stove.” <o:p></o:p>

Eagerly, Jackie nodded before bounding off to get her handbag.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Annie’s car  

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p>
</b>

<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></B></P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

They were finally in the car and on the way before Jackie made a request. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Can you please stop by a supermarket?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Whatever. I’m already on the road anyway, what does one more stop make?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Annie muttered. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Thanks, Annie. I owe you one.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Jackie grinned as she settled back on her seat. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

They made the stop with Annie lifting her brows at the things that Jackie bought from the supermarket, though she refrained from making a comment, having learnt about the boxes from her brother. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

As expected, there was no one in Paul’s apartment except for Gilbert. He was surprised to see the both of them upon opening the door, but when he saw what Jackie was carrying, he understood at once the reason they were there. Before the latter could ask anything, he started talking, the words reminiscent of those that they had exchanged more than a year ago.</P>

</P>

“Yep, you can enter his room, there’s no one there right now. And nope, I won’t tell this to a soul, it will be our little secret.” <o:p></o:p>
</P>

</P>

Smiling happily, Jackie continued to Paul’s room, leaving the siblings staring after her in amusement. The both of them were just settling down on the couch when Jackie appeared again, this time, with a purple box in her hands. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Look at all these stuff! They have all expired! Why didn’t Paul finish them?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

It was Gilbert who answered her query. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“Because he was hardly home the entire time you were in a coma. He didn’t want to be too far away from you, so, he spent every minute that he had in the hospital, not taking any leave, medical or otherwise.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Jackie slumped down onto the couch. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“I didn’t know.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Annie wrapped her arms around her friend. <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“But all that is over and done with now. Paul really did a lot for you and he loves you dearly. What you should do now is treasure your relationship with him, and let him know how much you appreciate him.” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

“I didn’t know. But don’t worry, I will definitely let him know that I truly appreciate everything that he has done.” And again, true to her mischievous nature, she could not resist adding. “Since when you have become an expert on love, huh, Annie?” <o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

Upon completing that statement, she managed to jump up and run off before Annie’s playful swat could land on her behind.</P>

After Five
That Night
8.24pm
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></B>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>Even though Tracy was talking to Paul, his eyes kept straying to the door and he could not seem to concentrate on the conversation. Just an hour earlier, he had arrived at the pub with Tracy, who had announced that her car had broken down and was sent to the garage for repairs. She had thus requested for a ride from Paul to After Five, where most of Jackie’s friends had gathered to celebrate her recovery. <o:p></o:p>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>At the moment, everyone had arrived except for the main star and her buddy. Finally, Tracy gave up on her one–sided attempt at a conversation and sat there in a huff. Anson, who had witnessed everything, simply shook her head, wondering when the lady would give up her attempt at trying to get together with Paul. It was so obvious to everyone who bothered to look that he only had eyes for one lady, and that was definitely not the one who was sitting beside him at the moment. </FONT>

“Paul! Paul!” <o:p></o:p>

Henry waved his hand in front of Paul’s eyes, trying to get his attention. <o:p></o:p>

“Huh? What?” <o:p></o:p>

“Stop looking at the door and your watch! They are late, but they will be here. Stop worrying about Jackie, I just talked to Annie, she’s fine, they are just held up.” <o:p></o:p>

“I know, I talked to Jackie a while ago too. It’s just that...” <o:p></o:p>

“Don’t bother him, Henry. He won’t be of much use till Jackie turns up.” <o:p></o:p>

Peter teased, having overheard their conversation. <o:p></o:p>

Expecting a retort, all he received in return was an exasperated look by the man in question before the latter resumed alternating between looking at his watch and the door. <o:p></o:p>

Suddenly, Paul’s eyes lit up and he stood up, startling all those around him. In unison, knowing smiles spread across their faces as they turned to look at the door, expecting to see the star of the day entering the pub. True enough, there were Annie and Jackie sauntering into the pub, arm in arm. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey! Wow, everyone’s here already!" Jackie greeted before bestowing a smile on the man of her life. <o:p></o:p>

“You are so late! We were going to kick Paul out of here till you come.” Henry chided gently as he placed an arm around Annie’s shoulders. <o:p></o:p>

“We had something to do.” She replied. <o:p></o:p>

Everyone shuffled around to make space for the couples as Tracy was urged to sit elsewhere in order to make way for the couples. <o:p></o:p>

“No, no, it’s ok, I can just sit here.” Jackie protested. <o:p></o:p>

“We wouldn’t dream of it. Who knows what Paul will do next. It’s better if you stick to him for the rest of the night.” Joe grinned. <o:p></o:p>

“What did I do?” Paul retorted. <o:p></o:p>

“That’s precisely it. You did nothing! Ahh, so now, you’ve regained your ability to talk again?” <o:p></o:p>

“Did I miss anything?” Jackie asked from her place beside Paul. Tracy, having no choice, had unwillingly given her seat to Jackie, leaving the two couples snuggled comfortably on the couch. <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing at all.” Gilbert chirped in. “He was so dead before you arrive.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie turned to her fiancé. <o:p></o:p>

“Were you?” <o:p></o:p>

“Don’t listen to the boys. They just like to utter nonsense.” <o:p></o:p>

“You can deny it all you want, but we have so many witnesses here!” <o:p></o:p>

Peter added, unable to resist the temptation of jibing at Paul. <o:p></o:p>

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Paul replied before turning to Jackie. “So, how do you feel?” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m fine, really. Stop worrying about me.” Jackie smiled at him in assurance, giving his hand a squeeze. She turned to look at the others. “So, what have you guys planned for me?” <o:p></o:p>

“How about a drink first?” Helen suggested. “We’ve already had a couple, you should order something too.” <o:p></o:p>

“I will go get it.” Annie said, standing up. “What do you want, Jackie?” <o:p></o:p>

“A vodka, thanks.” <o:p></o:p>

“Change that to a lime tonic, will you, Annie? Thanks. Just put it on my tab.” <o:p></o:p>

“Will do.” <o:p></o:p>

She replied before walking off. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, what did you do that for?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie jabbed a finger at Paul’s chest. <o:p></o:p>

“In case you have forgotten, my dear girl, you are still on medication, and not supposed to be taking any alcoholic drinks.” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh yeah, I forgot.” She grinned sheepishly. She turned to the others curiously. “So, what were you talking about before I got here?” <o:p></o:p>

“Like we said, nothing.” Joe insisted. “You should have seen Dr. Ching’s face. I’m glad he’s not like that in the hospital.” <o:p></o:p>

Everyone laughed.

“Hey, what are you talking about? Since I’m in a good mood today, I will let you off. Joke all you want, I don’t mind.” <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>Paul grinned, thwarting their plans to make fun of him. <o:p></o:p>

Just then, Annie arrived with their drinks. <o:p></o:p>

Gilbert grabbed his and stood up. <o:p></o:p>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>“Let me propose a toast. A toast to the luckiest lady in the world. A lady who managed to join us again against all odds.” </FONT>

“And a toast to my best friend, who managed to come back to us again.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie added, by Henry’s side. By now, everyone had stand up and was joining in the toasting. <o:p></o:p>

“Not to forget a toast to congratulate our couples on their impending marriages.” <o:p></o:p>

Helen smiled. <o:p></o:p>

“Hear, hear!” <o:p></o:p>

Everyone echoed, before clicking their glasses together and each taking a sip from their respective glasses. As for the couples in question, they shared an intimate smile with their respective halves and gently clicked their glasses against each other’s before taking a sip too. <o:p></o:p>

It took a moment for all the excitement to die down and everyone to settle back down in their seats. Before long though, the bantering that was so much a part of the group started. Comments were thrown at one another with amazing speed, leaving those who did not know the group well, fascinated. <o:p></o:p>

Suddenly, Joe threw a question at Paul. <o:p></o:p>

“So, when is this wedding of yours going to be? Have you decided on the best man and maid of honor yet?” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh right.” Jackie, having caught the second question, turned to look at Annie in askance. “Since we are both going to be married on the same day, we can’t be each other’s maid-of-honor, of course. So, who’s going to be ours?” <o:p></o:p>

The latter laughed. <o:p></o:p>

“We never thought of that when we decided to get married on the same day, did we?” <o:p></o:p>

The two ladies pondered for a moment, before both heads popped up. <o:p></o:p>

“I can tell that you have the same idea as I do.” Jackie grinned. “Now, what are you thinking?” <o:p></o:p>

“The same as you. Let’s go against tradition and just totally go without maids-of-honor, shall we?” <o:p></o:p>

“That’s what I thought so too. Fine, since you are alright with it, that’s just what we will do.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul turned back to Joe, after witnessing this scene. <o:p></o:p>

“So, does that answer your question?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yes, it does, but what about the other questions? When’s the wedding, and who’s the best man?” <o:p></o:p>

“If there are no maid-of-honor, it will look weird if there’s a best man, won’t it, Joe?” <o:p></o:p>

Henry drawled, cutting into the conversation. <o:p></o:p>

“Damn, and I was so looking forward to being the best man too.” <o:p></o:p>

Gilbert slapped his knee in mock disappointment. <o:p></o:p>

That proved to be the wrong thing to say, as both Annie and Jackie got up from their comfortable positions and approached him, each placing an arm around his shoulder. <o:p></o:p>

“Uh oh, I don’t think I want to see this.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul muttered, though he was grinning all the while. <o:p></o:p>

“That will teach you to open your mouth at the wrong time. Haven’t you learn something yet about the two forces combined after all this time?” <o:p></o:p>

Henry could not resist jibing at Gilbert. <o:p></o:p>

“So, brother, you wanna be the best man?” <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, Ah Gil, you want to be the best man?” <o:p></o:p>

“I... I don’t think so now, I can feel a sense of threat in the air.” <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, what threats? We never threaten anyone, do we, Annie?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, never. So, bro, what do you say? Do you or do you not want to be the best man?” <o:p></o:p>

“And, what if I do, and what if I do not?” <o:p></o:p>

“If you do, we will just have to look for the maid-of-honor for you, don’t we, Jackie? Imagine the best man without a partner.” <o:p></o:p>

“I should never have opened my mouth.” Gilbert muttered. “Forget it, I don’t want to be a best man anymore, I don’t trust your tastes.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie nudged him. <o:p></o:p>

“What do you mean by not trusting our tastes?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie jabbed him in the side. <o:p></o:p>

“Do we have such poor tastes?” <o:p></o:p>

“Alright, I give up, I surrender. I don’t want to be your best man anymore, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

On so saying, Gilbert threw up his hands, and escaped, leaving the two ladies laughing after him. <o:p></o:p>

“What did we do?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie looked at Jackie, her eyes twinkling. <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing that I know of.” The latter replied, grinning. “Hey, I’m going for another drink, you want one too?” <o:p></o:p>

“Sure, hold on, let me go with you.” <o:p></o:p>

As they got up to go to the bar, they asked if anyone else wanted a refill. <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, not me, I have enough for tonight. Jackie, remember, no alcoholic drinks for you.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie let out an exasperated sigh. <o:p></o:p>

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Come on, Annie, let’s go.” <o:p></o:p>

She linked her arm through her best friend, and the two of them sauntered off to the bar together, unaware of the many pairs of eyes that followed them. Some with love shining out of them, some envious of the obvious closeness between the two of them, and some simply admiring the sight that the two of them presented. <o:p></o:p>

“So, how did the two of them become such close friends?” <o:p></o:p>

Anson inquired, taking a sip out of her drink. <o:p></o:p>

“Before Jackie went into a coma, they had been living as apartment mates for a long time, and they had known each other for a while. If you want to know the details, you will just have to ask either one of them.” <o:p></o:p>

Gilbert replied with a shrug.

Just then, there was a shout from behind them, and all eyes swiveled to the source. Both Paul and Henry got to their feet instantly, having discovered where the source of trouble was, while their other friends too, followed. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>Paul, Henry, Gilbert, Joe and Peter hurried up to the bar, just in time to see Jackie calmly putting an empty glass down, while Annie was just splashing hers at the face of their offender. <o:p></o:p>

“What happened?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul asked. <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing serious.” Jackie replied. “Hey, Andy, give me another drink, will ya? I just wasted mine.” <o:p></o:p>

“Sure, no prob. Anything for you.” <o:p></o:p>

Andy grinned. <o:p></o:p>

Henry glared at Annie. <o:p></o:p>

“Will you at least tell us what had happened here?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing serious, as Jackie had just said.” <o:p></o:p>

“But, we all just saw you throwing your drink at the guy.” <o:p></o:p>

Peter looked around for the man, who, unfortunately, was gone by now. Fortunately for him, he knew when to retreat in the face of five other men. <o:p></o:p>

“These gals are really good.” Andy grinned, placing two new drinks in front of them. “These drinks are on the house.” <o:p></o:p>

“Now, what did they do?” <o:p></o:p>

Gilbert asked in exasperation, impatient with all the avoidance of the real issue. <o:p></o:p>

“Thanks, Andy. We really appreciate it.” <o:p></o:p>

On so speaking, the two ladies grabbed their drinks, and escaped the scene, sure of what was to follow, and wanting to avoid it. <o:p></o:p>

“Andy?” <o:p></o:p>

Joe asked. <o:p></o:p>

“Well, that guy was drunk. He came forward suddenly, and put his arms around Dr. Tong and Lawyer Jiang without any warning, trying to cozy up to them. In defense, they simply dumped their drinks on him, much too light of a punishment, if you ask me. Then you guys came along.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie and Jackie hurried to their seats, pretending that nothing unusual had happened, as they prepared for the outburst that was sure to come soon. <o:p></o:p>

True enough, their respective partners, and close friends were quick to jump to their defense. <o:p></o:p>

Henry let out a growl. <o:p></o:p>

“He’s lucky he got away quick. If I ever get my hands on that guy....” <o:p></o:p>

“If you want, we can still go out and look for him.” <o:p></o:p>

Peter suggested. <o:p></o:p>

That suggestion earned an alarm look from both ladies as they jumped to their feet again, hurrying to their side. <o:p></o:p>

“Paul...” <o:p></o:p>

“Henry...” <o:p></o:p>

“There’s no harm done. So, stop making such a big fuss out of it.” Jackie said, glaring at Peter. “And, stop making such suggestions. We are fine, so will you guys stop making such a big fuss?” <o:p></o:p>

“That’s why we want to settle things by ourselves. You guys are creating a scene. Look at how everyone is staring at us already!” <o:p></o:p>

Annie dragged Henry back to their table, with Jackie doing the same to Paul. Left with no other options, the other guys too followed them back to their seats. <o:p></o:p>

“What happened?” <o:p></o:p>

Helen asked Joe anxiously. <o:p></o:p>

“Ask the two of them. They were the one who got into trouble, but refused to let us do anything.” <o:p></o:p>

“It’s not a big deal. We came out unharmed.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie retorted, before repeating what had happened to the others who had been waiting anxiously. At the end of the recitation, Annie cut in. <o:p></o:p>

“And, we are grateful of you guys being so defensive of us, we really appreciate it. Don’t we, Jackie?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, we are. Thank you!” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie grinned, leaning in to kiss Paul, hoping to kiss the scowl off his face. Just as she expected, it worked. Paul simply squeezed her in return, but at least, the scowl had disappeared. She got up to give each of her friends a hug, with Annie doing the same. That proved to be the right thing to do, as the mood brightened considerably. <o:p></o:p>

A pair of eyes followed their actions mutinously, furious that her plan was foiled. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>“Why don’t we call it a day? You guys still have to work tomorrow.” <o:p></o:p>

“Are you tired already? Sorry, I forgot that this is your first night out, you shouldn’t have stayed out so long.” <o:p></o:p>

“Paul, I’m fine, stop worrying. I just did not want to be the cause of you all late for work tomorrow.” Jackie grinned, trying to soften her tone. “Send me home?” <o:p></o:p>

“Of course.” <o:p></o:p>

“Paul, what about me? My car is still in the garage, remember?” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy asked, having overheard their conversation. She came up beside Paul, linking her arm through his. Uncomfortable, Paul pulled away from her, and walked quickly to Jackie’s side, placing his arm around her. <o:p></o:p>

“Uhh...” <o:p></o:p>

The latter, confident of Paul’s love and loyalty for her, was amused at the scene. <o:p></o:p>

“Well, we can give you a lift if you like?” <o:p></o:p>

Left with no other choice, Tracy agreed. <o:p></o:p>

“Annie, I will see you later. Paul is sending me home.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie nodded. <o:p></o:p>

“Sure.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie turned to the others and thanked them all for attending the ‘party’. Soon, everyone bade their farewells, as each went their own way. Jackie and Paul walked out of the pub, hand in hand, with Tracy following them, sullenly. <o:p></o:p>

On the way to Paul’s car<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>“Are you happy tonight?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul asked, bringing their joined hands up to her lips. <o:p></o:p>

“Yes, I am. Thank you very much for everything.” <o:p></o:p>

She leaned up to drop a kiss on his lips. Then, remembering they had an audience, quickly resumed her position. She turned around and called. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, Tracy, are you drunk? You are walking so slowly, or are we boring you?” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy, already angry at the turn of things, and not used to the way of bantering of the gang, took offense at her words. <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, I’m not drunk!” <o:p></o:p>

She hastened her steps to match the couple, coming up beside them. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie looked questioningly at Paul, who gave her a shrug. She tried again. <o:p></o:p>

“So, how are you? I have not seen you for a while.” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m not the one who's sick, so why should anyone visit me?” <o:p></o:p>

Giving up, Jackie decided to leave the doctor alone for the moment, unsure of what was bothering her. <o:p></o:p>

In silence, the trio walked to Paul’s car. He opened the back door for Tracy before hurrying to open the passenger door for Jackie. While on the way to Tracy’s house, Paul kept sneaking glances at Jackie, wanting to make sure that she was truly fine, and not just saying that to reassure him. It was in one of those glances that he noticed her give a slight shiver. <o:p></o:p>

“Are you cold?” <o:p></o:p>

“Just a little.” <o:p></o:p>

“Why didn’t you say something earlier?” He chided gently. He lowered the air-conditioner of the car and turned to Tracy, who was sitting silently in the back seat. “Tracy, can you please pass me my jacket?” <o:p></o:p>

“Sure.” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy replied, before handing his jacket to him. <o:p></o:p>

He stopped at a red light, and took the chance to place his jacket over Jackie. The latter smiled her thanks at him. <o:p></o:p>

“Do you feel warmer now?” <o:p></o:p>

“Uh hmm....” <o:p></o:p>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>“Sleepy, huh?” </FONT>

“Just a little.” Jackie smiled, and placed her head on his shoulder. “But, I’m very comfortable the way I am.” <o:p></o:p>

Taking his eyes off the road for an instant, Paul pressed a kiss onto Jackie’s forehead, giving a squeeze to her hands. <o:p></o:p>

“Take a nap if you like, I will wake you up when we are home.” <o:p></o:p>

That sweet action, of course, did not escape the eyes of Tracy, who fumed silently. When she heard Paul’s words, that made her even more furious. <o:p></o:p>

Paul drove to a stop in front of Tracy’s apartment building. The sudden change in momentum woke Jackie up from her sleep. Disoriented, she sat up and looked around, taking a moment to get her bearings. <o:p></o:p>

“We’ve reached Tracy’s apartment, honey.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul told her, in response to her confused look. <o:p></o:p>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>“Oh right, sorry, I knocked out there for a moment.” </FONT>

“That’s alright, you have reason to be tired.” Paul replied before turning to look at Tracy. “Here we are! See you in the hospital tomorrow.” <o:p></o:p>

“Thanks a lot, Paul, really appreciate it.” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy managed to hide the anger in her eyes just in time, as Paul turned to look at her. <o:p></o:p>

“Goodnight, Tracy.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie called out. <o:p></o:p>

“Goodnight, you guys. I will see you tomorrow.” <o:p></o:p>

Tracy alighted and walked towards her building. She turned around in time to see the car drive off. A determined look entered her eyes as she saw the car’s taillights disappear into the distance. She had never failed to get anything that she wanted, not even when she was young, and this time would not be any exception. <o:p></o:p>

Meanwhile
Back In Paul’s Car

</P>

</P>

</P>“She’s interested in you.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie stated simply. <o:p></o:p>

“What?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul looked at her incredulously, almost running them off the lane. <o:p></o:p>

“Tracy. She likes you.” <o:p></o:p>

“What? Are you crazy?” <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, hey, I was just stating a fact. Stop reacting so strongly. Don’t worry, Paul, I have the most trust in you.” <o:p></o:p>

“You’d better. And, I don’t know what makes you say that either.” <o:p></o:p>

“It’s a woman’s intuition, and you should know that it’s very reliable.” <o:p></o:p>

“Are you sure?” Paul grinned. “So, you sure you don’t want to stay over at my apartment tonight?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, I don’t think so. I want to sleep in my own bed for once, it’s been so long.” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, I won’t force you. You know that you are welcome over at my place any time.” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, I know that.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul reached over to pat Jackie’s hand as he pulled into an empty slot in the garage. <o:p></o:p>

“You don’t have to come up if you are too tired.” <o:p></o:p>

“What do you take me for?” Paul grumbled as he locked his car and wrapped an arm around Jackie’s shoulders. “Of course, I’m going up. I have to make sure that you reach home safely, and I’m gonna tuck you into bed too.”

“You are too good to be true, you know.” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m glad you realize that.” <o:p></o:p>

“I love you.” <o:p></o:p>

“And, I love you back.” <o:p></o:p>

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 03:45 PM, Processed in 0.013780 second(s), 5 queries, Gzip enabled.