[妙手] 【转帖】一個英文版的妙手仁心續集

回复: 【转帖】一個英文版的妙手仁心續集

In Paul’s car<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font>

<o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<font color=" /><o:p></o:p>

The drive back to the apartment that Jackie shared with Annie was a fast one, before she knew it, she was back home. Paul wrapped his arm around her as they walked up to her apartment. <o:p></o:p>

“Tired?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nope.” She looked at him. “Do you realize that this is the first time that you are spending the night here?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yeah, so....” <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing, I was just thinking out loud.” <o:p></o:p>

She unlocked the door, and led the way in. <o:p></o:p>

“Well, you know your way around.” <o:p></o:p>

“Sure, I do. Don’t bother about me.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie was reading a book on the couch when she was finally joined by a pajamas clad Paul. <o:p></o:p>

“Aren’t you going to bed yet?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, I’m going soon. You can turn in first.” <o:p></o:p>

She waved a hand negligently at Paul, still intent upon her book. Paul stared at her, waiting by her side for a moment, but when there was no further response from her, he reached out to remove the book from her hands. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey!” <o:p></o:p>

“It’s time for bed, my dear princess. You can continue reading this tomorrow.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul said, before scooping Jackie up into his arms. Jackie, who was totally unprepared for this, let out a squeal. <o:p></o:p>

“What are you doing?” <o:p></o:p>

“Bringing you to bed.” <o:p></o:p>

Came the reply, as Paul carried her into her bedroom. <o:p></o:p>

“Are you sleeping in here too?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie asked innocently. <o:p></o:p>

“Of course, where else do you think I’m sleeping?” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh, I thought you would be sleeping in the living room or something. You can take Annie’s room, if you like.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie teased, a look of seriousness on her face. <o:p></o:p>

"Oh, so you don’t want me sleeping here, do you?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul asked, right before dropping Jackie onto her bed, and falling on top of her. Knowing her weakness, he began tickling her. <o:p></o:p>

“Ok, ok, I give up! You can sleep in here.”

“That’s better.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul grinned, before turning serious, the playfulness from a moment ago disappearing. Suddenly, Jackie burst out laughing. <o:p></o:p>

“What?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul looked at her puzzled. <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing, I was just thinking. This is really a role reversal, you know. I can still remember a time more than a year ago when I had tried to take the initiative in holding your hand. Yet, we didn’t even manage to hold hands that one time. This is a vast improvement from that time, you are improving, Paul.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie grinned, hooking her hands behind Paul’s neck. <o:p></o:p>

“It is, isn’t it? Well, two years is a long time, I’ve learnt.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul grinned, looking fondly at the lady before her. <o:p></o:p>

The moment turned intimate as both gazed deeply into each other’s eyes. Slowly, he leaned down to press a kiss onto Jackie’s lips. The kiss gradually deepened. Wrapped in each other’s arms, the couple was lost to the world, as they became lost in their passion. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie and Annie’s Apartment
The Next Morning
8.23am
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<b><font color=" /><o:p></o:p>

The smell of frying bacon roused Paul from a sound sleep. It was the first real sleep that he had in ages, not considering those that he had taken with Jackie in the hospital. <o:p></o:p>

Stretching, he looked around the bedroom to find Jackie gone. Smiling, he walked out of the room in search of her, sure that he knew where she was. True enough, he found her humming and frying bacon in the kitchen. Coming up behind her, he slipped his arms around her waist, nuzzling her neck. <o:p></o:p>

“Good morning.” <o:p></o:p>

“Good morning yourself. Did you have a good sleep?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie asked, before turning to place a kiss on his cheek. <o:p></o:p>

“Of course, what do you think, when I had such wonderful company in bed?” <o:p></o:p>

That made her laugh. <o:p></o:p>

“Well, if you don’t want to be late for work, you’d better go and get ready. Breakfast will be ready in a minute.” <o:p></o:p>

“You don’t have to do this, you know?” <o:p></o:p>

“Do what?” <o:p></o:p>

“Make breakfast for me. I can just take something on my way to work.” <o:p></o:p>

“It’s fine with me, and I want to.” <o:p></o:p>

“Have I ever told you how much I love you?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, not this morning, I don’t think so.” <o:p></o:p>

“I love you.” <o:p></o:p>

“And, I love you back. But, even that’s not going to help you if you are late for work.” <o:p></o:p>

“Yes, madam!” <o:p></o:p>

Paul grinned, snatching a kiss before stepping out of the way to avoid a swat on the behind.

That Night
7.48pm <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

“Oh wow, I can’t believe that I’m home early for once.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie told Jackie as she unlocked the door to their apartment. <o:p></o:p>

“It’s good to stay home for once, you know. And, the two of us haven’t had a meal together at home for ages. This is a good chance for us to sit down and eat in peace, and really get caught up on news.” <o:p></o:p>

“Yeah, yeah, you are forever the nosey person.” <o:p></o:p>

That earned her a poke on the shoulder blade. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, what do you mean by that?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing, I’m innocent.” <o:p></o:p>

The two ladies laughed as they stepped into their apartment, nearly stepping onto the piece of paper on the floor that was just inside the doorway. <o:p></o:p>

“What’s this?” Jackie asked curiously, bending over to pick it up. The words found on the paper only made her all the more curious. “Hey, big lawyer, come take a look at this, will ya?” <o:p></o:p>

“I will not give up so easily.” Frowning, Annie read out loud from the piece of paper in Jackie’s hands. “What is this?” <o:p></o:p>

“I don’t know, I came home at the same time as you did, and I just picked this up from the floor. What do you think it means?” <o:p></o:p>

“I have no idea. It’s not addressed to anybody, guess it’s probably a prank. I’ve seen a few of my colleagues getting such notes too, during their cases, and they usually turn out to be harmless.” <o:p></o:p>

“If you say so, big lawyer.” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, we’d better be on our guard, just in case, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

“Will do. So, what do you say? Pasta for dinner?” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh yes, I miss your pasta.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie licked her lips. <o:p></o:p>

Unconsciously, Jackie slipped the piece of paper onto the counter as she went to prepare dinner while Annie went to change out of her work clothes, the both of them putting the note from their minds, having decided that it was most probably just a prank, played by one of their neighbours’ kids. <o:p></o:p>

Before long, the two friends were chatting amiably over dinner, having totally dismissed the note from their minds.<o:p></o:p>

Annie and Jackie’s Apartment
A Week Later
10.03pm
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></B>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>Jackie sat on the couch, staring at the slip of paper in her hands solemnly. She had just opened the letterbox, and this was the first thing that she noticed. She wanted to wait for Annie to return home before deciding what to do next. <o:p></o:p>

The door creaked open. <o:p></o:p>

“Wow, someone is home early, not out with your fiancé?” Annie teased, before noticing the unusually quiet and serious looking Jackie. “Jackie, what’s wrong? Had a fight with Paul?” She asked, sitting down beside her friend. <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, take a look at this.” Jackie held the note out to her friend. “I just received this in the letterbox.” <o:p></o:p>

Taking the note from Jackie, Annie read it out loud again, repeating her action of a week ago. <o:p></o:p>

“You have not won yet! Just wait and see!” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie leaned forward, placing a hand beneath her chin, her elbow supported on her knee. <o:p></o:p>

“What do you make of this? Do you still think this is a prank?” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m not so sure, maybe it is, maybe it’s not. It’s not addressed to anyone, so how can we be sure it’s meant for us? If it’s really a threat, I’m sure there will be a name. Why would the person sending this not indicate who it is for?” <o:p></o:p>

“You may be right. But, I don’t think it’s for me. After all, I’ve just woken up from a coma, and since I’m so adorable, why would anyone threaten me? I would guess that it’s more likely for you. Have you offended anyone at work recently?” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh, stop flattering yourself! I would say you are more nosey than adorable.” Annie grinned, for the moment able to ignore the note. Then, she turned serious again. “That’s what I’m worried about. In my line of work, whether it’s unconsciously or consciously, I will no doubt make some enemies, and this could be the work of one of them.” <o:p></o:p>

“So, you think we should tell the guys?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie sighed, leaning forward as well. <o:p></o:p>

“I don’t know, although I know they should be told of this, I just don’t want to alarm anyone, after all, we are not so sure what this is all about yet. I’m thinking of waiting to see if there’s gonna be another note.” <o:p></o:p>

“Whatever, it’s your call. Let’s just be more careful from now on, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

“Ok.” Annie placed an arm around her friend. “I’m so sorry to have dragged you into this as well, Jackie. Listen, if you think it’s too dangerous, why don’t you, for the time being, stay in Paul’s apartment?” <o:p></o:p>

“If I didn’t know better, I would kill you for that. You are my buddy, and you should know that I would stick with you, be it better or worse.” <o:p></o:p>

She hugged Jackie. <o:p></o:p>

“Of course you are my buddy too. I knew I could count on you. It was just a suggestion, don’t get your hackles up. Come on, it’s getting late, time to go to bed. I still have to work tomorrow, in case you have forgotten.” <o:p></o:p>

The word ‘work’ reminded Jackie of her talk with Henry. <o:p></o:p>

“Oh yes, in the midst of all the excitement...” <o:p></o:p>

“Excitement?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie asked wryly. <o:p></o:p>

”Umm, maybe not excitement, but I can’t believe I’ve not told you this earlier, unless Henry had told you about it already.” <o:p></o:p>

“Told me what? You are stalling, Jackie.” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, he has offered me a job back at A & E.” <o:p></o:p>

“Why, that’s great! So, when do you start work?” <o:p></o:p>

“Umm.... I have not exactly agreed yet.” <o:p></o:p>

“What do you mean you have not agreed yet? I thought it’s been your dream to return to A & E?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yes, it is, but...” <o:p></o:p>

Annie put her hand on Jackie’s shoulder. <o:p></o:p>

“But, you are scared, aren’t you?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie nodded. <o:p></o:p>

“I’ve not admitted this to anyone yet, but I’m scared, more so than worried. What if I’ve lost my touch, what if I can’t be a doctor anymore?” <o:p></o:p>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>“Jackie, I never knew anyone who loves being a doctor as much as you, the rest of the gang not included. But, I know how much your work means to you, and how cut out for it you are. I won’t pressurize you into agreeing into anything yet, but just think about all that it means to you. What does Paul say about this?” </FONT>

“He says that he will go with anything I decide. He’s leaving the decision to me.” <o:p></o:p>

“And, we all know you will make the right one.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie said, patting her shoulder, before getting off the couch to return to her room, leaving Jackie mulling over her words. <o:p></o:p>

Paul’s Apartment
Two Days Later
1.24am

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>“I have decided.” <o:p></o:p>

“Decided what?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul looked at Jackie, lost. The couple was cuddled together on Paul’s bed. By now, their apartments were totally opened to each other, it was as if each had a second home in each other’s apartments. <o:p></o:p>

“I’m going back to work at A & E.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul looked at her. <o:p></o:p>

“Are you sure? Not that I’m pressurizing you or anything.” <o:p></o:p>

“Yes, I’m very sure. Annie is right. Being a doctor is my niche, I didn’t realize how much I’ve missed it till that day when I went to the hospital to go to your office.” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, if you’ve decided...” <o:p></o:p>

“Are you not pleased about it?” <o:p></o:p>

“Like I said earlier, I don’t want to force you to do something that you don’t want to do, but if you really want to know, I’m glad you decided to return to work at A & E. You are a terrific doctor, and I’m sure you will be just fine. I’m thrilled too that I can get to see you at the hospital all the time now.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie leaned her chin on his chest. <o:p></o:p>

“Well, I’m glad you approve, Dr. Ching. Oh, by the way, don’t you think you are getting too mushy?” <o:p></o:p>

“Am I?” Paul laughed. “Well, I don’t care, I don’t mind the whole world knowing that I love Jackie Tong.” He strained up to kiss her. “I love you, Mrs. Ching.” <o:p></o:p>

“Who’s Mrs. Ching? We are not even married yet.” <o:p></o:p>

“Then what’s that I see on your ring finger?” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh that, just a diamond, I guess.” <o:p></o:p>

“Jackieee.....” <o:p></o:p>

She laughed. <o:p></o:p>

“Alright, alright. I love you too, Dr. Ching. Is that good enough for you?” <o:p></o:p>

“A bit of action to prove that point might be even better.” <o:p></o:p>

“Aren’t you ever satiated?” <o:p></o:p>

“Not when I’m with you.” <o:p></o:p>

“I can’t believe I created a monster.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie groaned before allowing herself to be seduced by Paul’s kisses. <o:p></o:p>

The next morning, she got up early and went to work with Paul. He dropped her off outside Henry’s office before heading off to his own. He squeezed her hand. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>“Good luck, I know you can do it.” <o:p></o:p>

“I just wish I have as much confidence in myself as you seem to have in me.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie muttered, staring at Henry’s office door apprehensively. <o:p></o:p>

“Where’s the courageous Jackie that I know? The one who’s not afraid of anything?” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, she seems to have disappeared at this moment.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul knocked at the office door, earning a glare from Jackie. When they heard the expected ‘enter’, he nudged her forward. <o:p></o:p>

“It will be fine, trust me. After all, this is what you are cut out to do. I will see you at lunch, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

He kissed her on the cheek and hurried away, not waiting for a response from his fiancée. <o:p></o:p>

Taking a deep breath and summoning up her courage, Jackie opened the door, and stepped into a world that she had reluctantly left behind nearly two years ago. <o:p></o:p>

“Hi, Henry.” <o:p></o:p>

Henry looked up from the papers on his desk, surprised. He had not expected Jackie to come to see him this soon. Hoping this was what it meant, he gestured for her to take a seat. <o:p></o:p>

“So, what brought our Dr. Tong here today?” <o:p></o:p>

“Well... I..... I decided to take you up on your offer. I want to come back to work at A & E again.” <o:p></o:p>

A look of approval and pleasure flashed across Henry’s face. <o:p></o:p>

“You are sure about this?” <o:p></o:p>

“Being a doctor means a lot to me, and I realize that I’m not ready to give it up yet.” <o:p></o:p>

“Wow, such seriousness from Dr. Tong.” Henry teased, before becoming all serious again. He stood up. “Then, I’m glad to welcome you back. Welcome back, Dr. Tong, I’m sure you will still find this place as horrible as ever.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie laughed. <o:p></o:p>

“You must think I’m crazy to have missed all these, huh?” <o:p></o:p>

“What do you think? You wanna loiter around for a while to get a hang of things? Can you start work tomorrow?” <o:p></o:p>

“I believe someone has missed me here as well, wanting me to start work so soon. Yes, I will be glad to stay for a while, I’m meeting Paul for lunch anyway, come and join us, I’ve asked Annie along too, and yep, I can start work tomorrow.” <o:p></o:p>

Henry grinned. <o:p></o:p>

“I treat you and Joe as my disciples, you two have always been the best around here, of course, I miss you. With you around, at least I can loaf a little.” <o:p></o:p>

“Huh, you... For a while there, I thought we were going to have a hallmark moment.” <o:p></o:p>

“Never! You will never get that from me.” He retorted. “Come on, what are you waiting for? Let’s go.” <o:p></o:p>

He opened his door and led the way to A & E, where he announced to the staff that Jackie would be joining the crew officially the next day. <o:p></o:p>

“So, you’ve finally made up your mind. I’d wonder how long you would take, finally there’s someone to take over the load.” <o:p></o:p>

Joe crowed. <o:p></o:p>

“Can’t you guys stop saying that? Don’t you think you guys should be welcoming me back instead of making all those remarks?” <o:p></o:p>

Helen laughed. <o:p></o:p>

“Ignore them, you know how they are. Welcome back, Dr. Tang, it’s going to be great seeing you around the hospital again.” <o:p></o:p>

“Thank you, Helen.” Jackie looked at Henry and Joe triumphantly. “At least someone appreciates me here.” <o:p></o:p>

Soon, everyone had come to welcome the latest addition to the A & E crew, including Anson and Tracy. <o:p></o:p>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>But someone was not entirely happy with this arrangement. She just viewed this as more competition in future. She could not explain it, but ever since Jackie had woken up from her coma, she had been consumed with jealousy. Before Jackie had awoken, she was the centre of attention, but now, it was just the opposite. The rage was growing stealthily in her, threatening to get out of control. </FONT>

I thought of them a lot all these days,with their beautiful laughing,handsome faces,the man's careless,the girl's innocence,especially their deep love and happiness.

However,I could never have imagined what a dark shadow Tracy would throw over the lives of couples who make us feel amazing by their miracle love story...

what's the story going on......

Jackie and Annie’s Apartment
Two Weeks Later
7.33pm

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>Two weeks passed without mishaps, and the two ladies had finally put the matter of the threatening notes behind them, though they still kept the notes in case they were ever needed for evidence. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, Jackie, have you ordered the pizzas yet?” Annie called from the room. <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, I had.” Jackie called back from the kitchen. She finished preparing the salad and put the dish on the table, only to be joined by Annie, who snuck a piece of cucumber into her mouth. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie slapped at her hand. <o:p></o:p>

“Hands off, at this rate, all the veggies will be gone by the time the guys get here.” <o:p></o:p>

“That will still take some time yet, and I’m hungry.” Annie complained on her way to the couch as Jackie joined her. “So, how is it like, to be back at work after such a long break?” <o:p></o:p>

“It was weird at first, but everything’s like it was. It’s great to be working with everyone again, though Tracy seemed a bit resistant.” <o:p></o:p>

“Tracy?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, somehow, I get the feeling that she doesn’t like me lot.” <o:p></o:p>

“Why would you think so? You two have only been in much contact these past two weeks.” <o:p></o:p>

“It’s just a feeling that I have. I think it’s partly because of Paul too.” <o:p></o:p>

“Paul?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, I believe that she’s interested in Paul.” <o:p></o:p>

“Really?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, so do you know if they were dating or anything like that while I was in a coma?” <o:p></o:p>

“Paul and Tracy? Oh come on, Jackie, you should know that Paul have better taste than that.” Jackie laughed. <o:p></o:p>

“Oh, Annie, you are so bad! But, thanks for trying to cheer me up. Well, you’ve yet to answer my question...” <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, I don’t think so, if they were, I’m sure Henry would have told me, but nobody told me anything, so I guess not. You should have more confidence in Paul than that, Jackie.” <o:p></o:p>

“I know, it was just a thought.” She noticed Annie rubbing her nape. “It’s been a long two weeks, huh?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, the absolute worst. I had such a hard time keeping everything from Henry.” <o:p></o:p>

“Yeah, I know, me too. I keep finding myself about to blurt out the truth to Paul. Do you think they discovered anything?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nope, I don’t think so. Anyway, we have not received any more notes from that last one, I guess it’s all finally behind us now. If I ever know who the note sending culprit is, I will make sure he rue the day he decided to cross Annie Jiang.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie grinned. <o:p></o:p>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>“I really pity the guy then. So...” Before Jackie could finish her sentence, the doorbell rang. “Let me get that!” She scrambled up from her seat and hurried to the door. After paying the deliveryman, she carried the pizza over to the dining table. “Pizza’s here.” </FONT>

“I will get the plates.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie said, and got off the couch. <o:p></o:p>

The both of them were just walking towards the dining table with plates and glasses in their hands when there was a sudden loud explosion, the force of which caused them to be thrown backwards. Annie landed with a loud thud, banging her head against the counter, while Jackie fell just beside her, bits of glasses covering her, wounds that were already starting to bleed appearing on her hands. <o:p></o:p>

In The Hospital
Meanwhile <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

</P>

</P>

</P>Paul looked around his room one final time, before exiting it and locking the door. He walked to the A & E department where he had agreed to meet Henry so that they could go to the girls’ apartment together. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, Henry, are you done? Any later, and we will be cooked ourselves!” <o:p></o:p>

Henry looked up surprised, unaware that it was rather late already. <o:p></o:p>

“Give me a couple more minutes, and I’ll be done.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul nodded. He was just walking away to get a drink when a hand stopped him. <o:p></o:p>

“Paul!” He looked up to see Tracy smiling sweetly at him. “It’s been so long since we’ve had a talk alone. What have you been up to?” <o:p></o:p>

“Well, I’ve been spending most of my time with Jackie. We gotta start our wedding preparations already, ya know.” <o:p></o:p>

The smile on Tracy’s face dimmed. <o:p></o:p>

“Tracy?” <o:p></o:p>

She jerked back to reality. <o:p></o:p>

"Huh?” <o:p></o:p>

“Nothing, you just look kinda lost for a while there.” <o:p></o:p>

“Oh, I was just thinking of something. So, how about we get a drink one of these days?” <o:p></o:p>

“Sure, I will ask Jackie along and you can get to know each other better.” <o:p></o:p>

Before Tracy could offer any protest to that, Henry came up to them. <o:p></o:p>

“Ok, I’m ready, let’s go. We don’t wanna be later than we already are, do we?” <o:p></o:p>

“Hmm... I seem to recall that I’m not the one causing us to be late.” <o:p></o:p>

“Whatever, let’s go!” <o:p></o:p>

Sighing with exasperation, Paul followed Henry out of the hospital. However, before they had even gone past the front desk, they were halted. <o:p></o:p>

“Dr. Lai, there are a couple of patients coming in. Seems like they were involved in a bomb accident or something.” <o:p></o:p>

Henry looked at Paul apologetic. <o:p></o:p>

“It’s ok, go ahead, I will just wait, and see if I can help in any way.” <o:p></o:p>

Nodding, Henry returned to the curtain area to start preparations for the new arrivals. <o:p></o:p>

Before long, two gurneys were pushed into the hospital, and into the area where Henry and his crew were waiting. <o:p></o:p>

“On my count, 1, 2 .....” <o:p></o:p>

Henry’s voice trailed off as he looked down on the patient’s face and recognized it as Jackie’s. <o:p></o:p>

Hurriedly, he went to the other gurney, and was shocked to find that Annie occupied it. <o:p></o:p>

“Annie!” He turned to the nurse by his side, and demanded that she ask Paul to come in at once. Then, he returned his attention to his beloved, gently slapping the face. “Annie, Annie, wake up, can you hear me? It’s Henry, wake up! What happened?” <o:p></o:p>

Just then, Paul entered the area, and heard him calling for Annie. Fearing for the worst, he approached the other gurney, and true to his fears, he saw Jackie lying there unconscious. Gently, he repeated Henry’s actions, but this time, it was on his own beloved. <o:p></o:p>

“Jackie! Oh God, what happened? Why is this happening again? Jackie, wake up, can you hear me? It’s Paul, Jackie!” <o:p></o:p>

It was with relief when he saw Jackie’s eyelashes flutter, before her eyes opened slowly. <o:p></o:p>

“Annie!” <o:p></o:p>

Suddenly, panic entered those huge dark eyes, as Jackie tried to sit up. Paul hastened to press her back onto the gurney. <o:p></o:p>

“Jackie, this is Paul, can you hear me?” <o:p></o:p>

“Paul?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, this is Paul. You and Annie have both been sent to A & E. Lie still for a moment and let me give you a check up, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

He nodded at the nurse beside him, who in turn rambled off a string of vitals. <o:p></o:p>

“I’m fine, Paul, stop worrying. It’s only my hands that hurt, the rest of me feels fine.” <o:p></o:p>

It was upon those words that Paul noticed that Jackie’s hands were covered with blood. Worriedly, he took them gently, and proceeded to clean them, only to be relieved when, after all the gore was gone, only a few small wounds were seen. <o:p></o:p>

“I will get a nurse to dress the wounds for you, ok?” <o:p></o:p>

“Where’s Annie? How is she? I think she’s hurt worse than me, I think she knocked her head or something, I’m not very sure.” <o:p></o:p>

“She’s just beside you, I will go and check on her right now, alright? You just rest here and let the nurse dress your wounds.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul patted Jackie reassuringly before walking to Annie. <o:p></o:p>

“Henry, how is she?” <o:p></o:p>

“She’s just coming round.” <o:p></o:p>

Both of them looked down to see Annie slowly opening her eyes. The vitals announced by a nurse indicated that she was not in any danger. <o:p></o:p>

“Jackie!” <o:p></o:p>

Concern for her friend had her trying to sit up. <o:p></o:p>

“Annie, Jackie is fine, I want you to lie down, and let me do a checkup for you, ok?” <o:p></o:p>

“Henry?” <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, it’s me, surprised to see me so soon?” <o:p></o:p>

Henry teased, trying to lighten the mood. <o:p></o:p>

“My head hurts.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie moaned, in a rare show of weakness, totally comfortable to put her life in this man’s hands. <o:p></o:p>

Gently, Henry probed Annie’s head, only to find a small lump behind an ear. <o:p></o:p>

“I think she’d better go for a CT scan,” Henry told Paul, “What do you think?” <o:p></o:p>

He moved aside to allow Paul to check Annie’s head. <o:p></o:p>

“I agree, it’s hard to tell with head injuries.” <o:p></o:p>

“And, I’m gonna keep them both here overnight for observations.” Henry added grimly, “And, while they are here, we can ask them what exactly happened.” <o:p></o:p>

“That’s for sure.” <o:p></o:p>

Relieved that both ladies apparently appeared alright, Paul turned back to Jackie. <o:p></o:p>

“Both of you appear to be fine, but we are still going to keep you overnight for observations, ok?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie smiled that mischievous smile of hers. <o:p></o:p>

“When did you transfer to A & E without my being aware of it?” <o:p></o:p>

“I can’t believe you can still joke at a time like this.” <o:p></o:p>

She reached out to take hold of his hand, much to the distaste of an observer, who had been burning with jealousy ever since Jackie was sent in, and the concern that Paul poured over her. <o:p></o:p>

“Paul, I’m fine, don’t worry, my hands are feeling much better now.” <o:p></o:p>

As if to prove her point, she flashed both hands before Paul’s eyes. <o:p></o:p>

“They are both heavily bandaged, do you call that fine?” <o:p></o:p>

The worry of a moment before had turned into anger, anger towards himself that he had not been there to protect her when the accident happened. <o:p></o:p>

Determined to calm him down, Jackie reached out to grab one of Paul’s hands once again, grimacing slightly when the action aggravated her wounds. No matter how slight it was, that grimace still did not escape Paul’s eyes. Contrite, Paul stoked her face. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></font></font></b>

</P>

</P>“Take a rest, I’ll be in your room in a minute.” <o:p></o:p>

“Are you still upset then?” <o:p></o:p>

“No, I’m not. Don’t worry, I will see you in a minute, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

Nodding, Jackie closed her eyes and allowed her gurney to be pushed away. When he saw that she was safely brought away, Paul turned his attention back to Henry and Annie. <o:p></o:p>

“How is she?” <o:p></o:p>

“Doing well too. I’m sending her to a room now.” <o:p></o:p>

“How about letting her share a room with Jackie? I’m sure they would love to.” <o:p></o:p>

“That’s a good idea.” Henry agreed before turning to the nurse by his side and indicating where he wanted Annie to be sent. <o:p></o:p>

Soon, both ladies were settled comfortably in their room, but before they could even think of talking, both Dr. Lai and Dr. Ching entered their room. <o:p></o:p>

“So, how are our patients doing today?” <o:p></o:p>

“Fine.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie answered, trying to get off her bed. <o:p></o:p>

Paul hurried to her side. <o:p></o:p>

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m trying to get off my bed, of course, without hurting my hands.” <o:p></o:p>

“What do you want? I will get it for you, just get back on your bed, alright?” <o:p></o:p>

“I want to see Annie.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie announced, with a stubborn tilt to her head, as if daring Paul to defy her. <o:p></o:p>

Paul sighed in exasperation, knowing that once she had her mind set, nothing could change it again. Instead of letting Jackie continue struggling to get off her bed, he simply put his arms around her, and lifted her right off. <o:p></o:p>

“What do you think?” Paul threw back at her. “Just trying to make things easier for you.” <o:p></o:p>

Finally understanding his meaning, Jackie smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck. <o:p></o:p>

“Thank you.” <o:p></o:p>

“Make way, make way for the lady.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul called as he carried Jackie over to Annie’s bed. Scooting over, Annie created a space on her bed so that Paul could place Jackie down. <o:p></o:p>

“Annie, are you alright?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie looked at her best friend anxiously. <o:p></o:p>

“Yep, I’m fine, you?” <o:p></o:p>

“I’m fine too. You knocked against the counter pretty heavily, didn’t you? I saw you go down just before I fell.” <o:p></o:p>

“Your hands?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie indicated with her head. <o:p></o:p>

“I was holding the glasses, remember? I guess when I fell, they broke and cut my hands.” <o:p></o:p>

“It looks like we are abundant here, I don’t think they need us here at all.” <o:p></o:p>

Henry noted dryly to Paul. <o:p></o:p>

Grinning, Annie reached out to hold his hand. <o:p></o:p>

“I’m glad that you are here. After all, you save my life, so, you are my knight in shining armor.” <o:p></o:p>

“I wouldn’t go so far as to say I save your life, but if you want me to be your knight in shining armor, who am I to gainsay you?” <o:p></o:p>

“Did anyone ever say that you are very thick skinned?” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie laughed. <o:p></o:p>

“I think we’d better get back to the matter at hand. What exactly happened? We were told that your neighbour heard a loud explosion and went to your apartment to check it out, only to find you both unconscious. It was him who called for the ambulance.” <o:p></o:p>

Paul interjected. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie and Annie looked at each other, uncomfortable, sure that they would be in for a scolding this time. <o:p></o:p>

“Well....” <o:p></o:p>

The former began, only to be cut off by Annie. <o:p></o:p>

“We have been receiving threatening notes.” <o:p></o:p>

That brought both guys out of their nonchalant positions, and burst out simultaneously. <o:p></o:p>

“And, you only saw fit to tell us now?” <o:p></o:p>

“We didn’t want to worry you.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie muttered. <o:p></o:p>

“Don’t want to worry us? What the hell were you thinking of?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul yelled, for once, losing his cool. Everyone, except Annie who had seen him lose his temper once before when Jackie had just gone into a coma, stared at him shocked. <o:p></o:p>

“Paul, don’t blame Jackie. It was my idea. We didn’t know who the notes were for since they were unaddressed, but we assume they were for me as Jackie had just woken up from her coma and couldn’t have offended anyone while, I, being the lawyer, am sure to have offended some people during my course of work.” <o:p></o:p>

Jackie squeezed Annie’s hand reassuringly. <o:p></o:p>

“We are sorry, we didn’t mean to keep it from you guys, but we’ve received no more notes after two weeks, and so we thought it was just a false alarm. Who would have guessed that the pizza would explode like that.” <o:p></o:p>

Henry, who had been keeping silent all this while, finally voiced out his thoughts. He walked to Annie’s side of the bed, looking at her hard, yet his hand belied his concerns as he caressed her hair. <o:p></o:p>

“I really ought to smack you for this, you know. Do you still treat me as your boyfriend? To think that you gals have been threatened all this while, and I am totally unaware of it.” <o:p></o:p>

“Me too!” <o:p></o:p>

Paul added. <o:p></o:p>

Jackie reached out to grip Paul’s hands tightly. <o:p></o:p>

“Ok, I admit this time, it’s our fault, we shouldn’t have kept something so important from you guys, but we just didn’t want you to worry incessantly. We’ve been very careful ever since we received the first note. I’m sorry, don’t be angry anymore?” <o:p></o:p>

Paul sighed, stroking her cheek gently. <o:p></o:p>

“You know I can't stay angry at you for long.” <o:p></o:p>

“So, what now?” <o:p></o:p>

Annie wondered. <o:p></o:p>

“I believe Zhang Sir is over at your apartment right now checking things out. We informed him just before we came here. I think he’s going to come over later to ask you gals some questions.” <o:p></o:p>

Before anyone could say anything more, there came a knock at the door. At the ‘enter’, it opened to admit the rest of their friends. <o:p></o:p>

“Hey, Annie, Jackie, are you gals alright? What happened? I got such a shock when I was informed that you were sent to A & E unconscious.” <o:p></o:p>

Gilbert burst out, as he hurried into the room, to his sister’s side. <o:p></o:p>

“I’m fine, and so is Jackie.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie reassured him. <o:p></o:p>

“Don’t ever scare us like that again.” Joe commented. “We were almost at a loss on what to do, luckily Henry saved the day.” <o:p></o:p>

“Ahh.. My knight in shining armor.” <o:p></o:p>

Annie teased. <o:p></o:p>

“If you really think that, then I think that blow must have really injured your head.” <o:p></o:p>

Joe joked, his comment making everyone in the room laugh. <o:p></o:p>

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 06:11 PM, Processed in 0.017318 second(s), 5 queries, Gzip enabled.